Thread: Not a box...An observation

Not a box...An observation

In case you didn't know as a hobby I make display boxes for pistols. So far all have been for Webleys. I like to set these sunk into a wooden cut-out, cut as close as is possible to the gun.
    What I have found is that pistols of the same model & era have very slight differences. I used my own MK2 target as a pattern for a friends gun but, when trying to put his into the cut-out , it didn't fit. The only difference was the size of head on the trigger adjuster screw. Likewise, with a Pre-War Senior, the rear barrel catch was at a slightly different angle. None of these differences were due to wear or replacement parts. Has anyone else noticed theses differences, or can explain why they should be ?

Pistol Shapes

I recently bought two Hurricanes, one was well used but in a presentation box, the box was in excellent condition, I bought another that was in mint condition hoping that it would fit the box - No chance the shape of the fore end was completely different, and guess what the mint one was bigger so it wouldn't fit the box at all!

Thanks for reply,that puts an end to my plan to offer to make cases for other people useing my own guns as patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by boxman View Post
    Thanks for reply,that puts an end to my plan to offer to make cases for other people useing my own guns as patterns.
    Other people could always send you their guns to be custom fitted with a case. Problem solved.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

The Webley air pistol is well known for having minor differences between examples of the same model. Some of this is due to design changes, such as a different trigger adjustment screw, and some are down to different casting manufacturers.
    All Webley cases, both canvas & leather and the later rexine, were made to hold the pistol in such a way that these differences didn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Other people could always send you their guns to be custom fitted with a case. Problem solved.
    I had thought of that but it would proberly add £20 in postage costs and people would have to trust me with their prized guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    The Webley air pistol is well known for having minor differences between examples of the same model. Some of this is due to design changes, such as a different trigger adjustment screw, and some are down to different casting manufacturers.
    All Webley cases, both canvas & leather and the later rexine, were made to hold the pistol in such a way that these differences didn't matter.
    Question answered. I do like the Webley cases and would certainly like to have one. I saw the cut out idea in a woodworking mag. It is called French fitting it takes some time to do but I think it makes the case look more special in the end.

would a pattern of the pistol either cut into foam or a cardboard stencil work
    postage would not be much just an idea
    atb Steve

Quote Originally Posted by KIRBY4105 View Post
    would a pattern of the pistol either cut into foam or a cardboard stencil work
    postage would not be much just an idea
    atb Steve
    Its an idea but having the actual gun is the only way to guarantee a good fit.
    Thank you for your interest.