Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bowkett Meteor (stripped, pics and questions)

Quote Originally Posted by lightning22 View Post
    .... and this is what I found..... the main bits, given that this is a small rifle with a reputation for doing 12ftlbs in .177 I was expecting a bit of preload, I wasn't wrong. A notched delrin bar and a sash cramp took care of the safety side of things and a rather odd looking spring and guide arrangement came out. At first I thought it was a square section spring, but it was just a thick layer of moly giving the impression of round being square. I had expected one of the custom guides that John used to sell, instead a section of spring has been wound into the spring on a standard guide, locking the spring to the guide. It can't twang as there isn't much chance of the guide touching the spring.
    That's not a deliberate mod, that's a broken spring tha's wound itself together. This, of course, explains the lack of pre-load.

ATB

Richard

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBuzz View Post
    That's not a deliberate mod, that's a broken spring tha's wound itself together. This, of course, explains the lack of pre-load.

ATB

Richard
    Yep, it looks like a it's had the Twangsnap autotune mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Yep, it looks like a it's had the Twangsnap autotune mod.
    I was about to say exactly that too LOL

I recently stripped a Jackal with the same snapped spring wound inside itself "mod"

The full length of the spring is the two bits added together

Matty

P.s. I have just sold a MK 5 Super-Meteor that I tuned myself with polished spring ends, acetal tophat, delrin spring guide etc. to a local chap in the village. I chronod it at 11.1 ft lb with H&N FTT just before I passed it over - he absolutely loves it It's running standard spec piston head and OEM spring
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

I have just supplied Alistair with a piston head which I had lathed away at the front in a similar (but not quite so extreme) way to JB's one.

I look forward to hearing from him that he has gained 2 ft lb overnight using this modded item

I had 2 made but never got round to fitting them

I now only have 2 x MK 1 and 1 x MK 2 meteor left so I was not going to use them.

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    I have just supplied Alistair with a piston head which I had lathed away at the front in a similar (but not quite so extreme) way to JB's one.

I look forward to hearing from him that he has gained 2 ft lb overnight using this modded item

I had 2 made but never got round to fitting them

I now only have 2 x MK 1 and 1 x MK 2 meteor left so I was not going to use them.

Matty
    Well, I'm going to leave the buffer washer out so anything is possible! I'm tweaking the 'tricky' .177 calibre for this Meteor conversion. I'm aiming for 10.5 and pleasant shooting, if I can get 10.8 then I will be crazy with joy. Taking the rolled & wrapped early model Meteors to 12 ft/lbs in .177 is just wrong but Bowkett was pushing the envelope in those days.

BTW I will post the Rowan trigger in the morning, had a problem with the deep fried Mars Bars that got in the way of the post office (St Andrews Night) today.

I've just been given a meteor, its low on power. Apparently the cylinder has large score marks in it, because some one had a piece of metal in it for some reason, when he stripped it, he found it like this. I haven't touched it as yet.

Bowkett meteor

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBuzz View Post

ATB

Richard
    Yep I've seen this on a few lightnings & my 635 magnum when I first bought it, thanks for taking the time to post the pics, very interesting, as for replacing the square section seal try contacting bigtoe he might be able to help you find one.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning22 View Post

The spring spec on the beastie is as follows......

Overall length = 240mm

No. of coils = 30

Inner diameter = 12.8mm - 0.5"

Outer diameter = 19mm - 0.748"

Wire diameter = 3mm - 0.118"
    Are you sure the second spring isn't just the last few coils broke off the original? It's fairly common and the reason some guns gradually lose power over time as the two springs wind one into the other reducing OAL and pre-load. Figure out the true OAL and coil count (and your guide OD), I'll see if I can get one made this month as I have an order pending.

EDIT: should have read entire thread.
    EDIT2: I'm always doing springs, I just don't like people so I tell them I'm not!

Fascinating... Now I might be tempted to do make internals similar to this to my mk3 "experiment" gun.

How about the cocking lever and piston? there surely must be some mods done to create room?

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Fascinating... Now I might be tempted to do make internals similar to this to my mk3 "experiment" gun.

How about the cocking lever and piston? there surely must be some mods done to create room?
    I've got such a project waiting to be done, using an adaptor for a 26mm Weihrauch parachute. Basically you need to measure up and just grind out the back of the slot in the piston so it can go forward & make sure the cocking leaver does not foul the woodwork and it should be job done!

I have also got a couple of squared off piston heads to use with 'O' rings but no buffer. Will let you know how I get on ..

I've previously done a "stroker" with a maccari diana type seal, on a delring piston front that gives me a few extra mm's of stroke, but not so much as to require lengtehning tha piston slot. This conversions shoots about at about 710fps with 7,9grs, which can be done with an unmodified meteor as well, but my conversion is much more comfortable to fire.

A reason for me to do a copy of the bowkett tune, would be to experience how it feels during firing, I suspect that this would feel a bit harsh during firing..

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    I've previously done a "stroker" with a maccari diana type seal, on a delring piston front that gives me a few extra mm's of stroke, but not so much as to require lengtehning tha piston slot. This conversions shoots about at about 710fps with 7,9grs, which can be done with an unmodified meteor as well, but my conversion is much more comfortable to fire.

A reason for me to do a copy of the bowkett tune, would be to experience how it feels during firing, I suspect that this would feel a bit harsh during firing..
    I have an hw35 tuned by John Bowkett and the firing cycle is quick, but not harsh... I find it surprisingly insenstitive to hold
    Last edited by albrown; 05-06-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Hi

Does anyone know the size of the transfer port??

I'll have a look tonight, fingers crossed I've got a drill of the same size to give a measurement.
    Wanted - Venom Mach 1/2 Trigger

Quote Originally Posted by POK! View Post
    Are you sure the second spring isn't just the last few coils broke off the original? It's fairly common and the reason some guns gradually lose power over time as the two springs wind one into the other reducing OAL and pre-load. Figure out the true OAL and coil count (and your guide OD), I'll see if I can get one made this month as I have an order pending.

EDIT: should have read entire thread.
    EDIT2: I'm always doing springs, I just don't like people so I tell them I'm not!
    It's a while since I did this but from memory the small section of spring was very tight on the guide and the whole assembly had a huge amount of preload, something that shouldn't really be there had that length come from the end of the original spring.

Curious business model you've got there BTW..
    Wanted - Venom Mach 1/2 Trigger