Thread: JSR 3-9x50 pro illuminated

JSR 3-9x50 pro illuminated

Well first of all BIG thanks to JSR on the delivery front, phoned them Friday morning and left my details on the answer phone, phone call back around 1:00pm, and they took my order. Scope arrived Monday morning at 9:00am and the postage was FREE!!

The scope came in a brown cardboard box with 'fragile' tape stuck on every side, upon opening this there is another box with a satelite on floating over the earth, nice picture but not quite sure of the relevance so 10/10 for the packaging. Inside the box is the scope, and paperwork including full instructions for the mill dot reticule, the parallax adjustment and the illumination settings.
    The first thing I noticed about the scope is the weight, don't get me wrong it's not too heavy, it feels....substantial, I suppose is the best description. Its around 350mm long, so maybe too long for some springers but fine for any PCP, The engraving around the scope is in a matt gold colour which looks nice and understated, and its says exactly what it is around the front, twice in fact. All the numbers etched into the scope are nice and clear and formed properly and it says JSR on the saddle in big letters. The turrets are covered in caps with 'grippy' lines on that match the 'grippy' lines on the zoom ring and the parallax, again these are subtle compared to some of the other aggressively chunky patterns that are around and keeps the front of the scope a bit slimmer giving a bit more clearance between scope and barrel. Unscrew the caps to unveil well marked out finger friendly turrets, that give a really positive click when turned in either direction, they are the standard 1/4" at 100yds, but in the paper work provided it does include a reference chart for other distances. The zoom ring and the parallax ring both turn smoothly, but like some other JSR scopes, are a little stiff, which personally I don't mind, after all the scope is new and it shows that they are built to a certain tolerance, I would be quite unhappy if they were loose or even a bit 'sloppy'. The zoom works as it should and is nice and easy to use, the same goes for the parallax, and when tried out over measured 15yd and 30yd distances it was as near as I could tell, and adjusts down to 5yds on x9 magnification, which is perfect for air rifles, it took me around 6 or seven shots to zero in and had no major differences in P.O.I. through all permutations of zoom and parallax adjustment. The optics are suprisingly clear and fully coated, which gives an attractive green tint to the outside of the objective lens, but more importantly means that none of the 50mm glass is going to waste when the lights start to go out.
    The illuminated reticule is red and only the center lights up, it has 7 settings of which the top 4 are needless in my opinion as the first three should cover every eventuality but even on the brightest 'looking into the sun' setting there is very little bleed into the tube, and on the lower settings none at all, its adjusted by its own turret on the eye bell, and comes with one battery fitted and another spare in the box.
    Well I took the scope for its first outing last night, and it performs admirably in low light conditions, I also took a 3-9x40 scope with me an the difference was, too say the least, shocking with the JSR giving me over 30mins of extra usable shooting time. I only needed the illuminated reticule on the lowest setting, and while switching on the light did blur the crosshairs slightly, it was nothing to worry about and still completely usable.
    All in all I am very happy with my purchase and have found myself with a very practical tool for comparitively little money and all the features you would want in a general purpose field scope. I would, at this point in time recomend it to others, though I will update this review if anything changes!!
    Cheers
    Fram.
    Last edited by Fram; 22-05-2007 at 07:45 AM. Reason: added info on low light shooting
    Theoben MFR, with BIG glass
    GOOD DEALS WITH...UKNEIL, PREMIERPISTOL, BENBAIN, GRIMOWNZ, DIMJIM, STORMRAIDER77, BAZ77, ROB9509, OTHICKMAN, MALTOID

bluespot77 Guest
    Nice review Fram

I was looking to buy one and your review has definitely swayed my opinion towards doing so.

Cheers

Steve

i just received the 3-9x40 jsr scope,very pleased with it,good lenses,nice reticule but i had to spend 2 hours swapping 2 sets of mounts(2 piece sportsmatch and bsa scopemasters) in order to get it zeroed as the windage adjustment was all the way out and the POI was 3 mildots to the left.
    turned each mount round on both makes of mount to no avail so i tried my sportsmatch 1 piece adjustable mount all the way over to the right.

all sorted now and happy

Thumbs up Great review

Quote Originally Posted by Fram View Post
    Well first of all BIG thanks to JSR on the ...
    Hey Fram,
    Great review..I am just getting back in to the sport after a 20 year break....apparently things have moved on so I need all the help I can get to make sense of the new technology and who sells good value kit...
    Cheers
    bombhead

Smile great scopes!

from what ive heard all these scopes are superb! (ive got three!!!!)
    Falcon FN19 BSA Lightning
    Rapid 7 FAC Lanber 12Bore