Thread: flat section springs

flat section springs

Does anyone have any experiance of flat section main springs? I read that Eddie Barber got hold of a pair for a vintage airgun of his, and claimed them to be far smoother, more powerful, and easier to cock, is anyone making them today?

Mike

Mike,

You can get pairs of flat section springs through John Knibbs as a lot of the early BSA underlevers had them.
    They found that the long springs were prone to trouble, as they used to snap due to their high temper.
    Because of all the trouble with these long springs, they tried fitting a pair of shorter opposing coil springs instead and found that not only were they easier to make , they also held their power longer and were far less prone to breakage or bending out of shape etc.

Later on they went back to longer single springs however thats another story.

ATB

Lakey

flat section springs are they the same as square section?

From what I read I would so no. It sounds like the section is reduced, allowing for more coils over the length of the spring, in other words the OD and ID (of the spring, not the wire) would stay the same as a conventional spring, but when viewed from the side the section would be thinner.
    If that makes any sense