As much as I fancy an 1851 Navy Revolver I need plenty of reassurance about Blackpowder!
I bought an Uberti Navy .36 in Jan this year after shooting a few BR revolvers at my range. The Navy is a beautiful looking gun (with octagonal barrel) and the mechanics are sound. (at least I haven’t had any probs). Getting the BP licence from the Explosives Officer and the carry licence from H&S was a fag at the beginning but all well worth it in the end.

The arguments for and against BP are well argued but I knew what I was getting into. (do lots of research first – the American website are great for this) One of the reasons I chose BP was I just wanted to use the Navy as it was intended i.e. .36 cal and BP.

BP is indeed messy, dirty, smelly and the gun needs scrupulous cleaning after each shooting session but that’s all part of it to me.

In terms of the accuracy arguments between BP and its substitutes - don’t go there as you won’t win your argument!! – it’s more important to get the load, lube and weight of the ball right what ever propellant you choose. My Navy doesn’t shoot POA but most don’t. There is an argument to say that Colt BP revolvers were designed to aim at the groin or belt buckle in order to hit the heart. – not sure how true this is. I have to aim below the black and off to 5 o’clock at 25m to hit the target (which quite often looks like a pepper pot). But I didn’t buy it for accuracy: I bought it to have fun – which is what I have time and time again. I have an order in for a .44 Remmie with target sights which I will use in competitions.

Not sure if this helps but I love my Navy and BP. (but don’t shoot it with a strong wind blowing in yer face or you’ll be smelling like you’ve just smoked a thousand cigs)
John