Thread: load data

load data

looking for the ideal conical to use in my 1858 remington....using 15 gns of 777 weighed and hot caps with the 200gns conicals and its hit and miss at 25yards lol......any ideas

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    looking for the ideal conical to use in my 1858 remington....using 15 gns of 777 weighed and hot caps with the 200gns conicals and its hit and miss at 25yards lol......any ideas
    Able to crank the handle all right to get 'em in, were you?

Regards,
    MikB
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Quote Originally Posted by MikB View Post
    Able to crank the handle all right to get 'em in, were you?

Regards,
    MikB
    .... i sometimes do struggle believe it or not and my next post was going to be a remote bullet chamber seating stand like our american cousins use...have to rest now as all this typing is hurting my wrist

I use conicals for the simple reason there is no real need to lube over the cylinder, the long contact area is good protection against chainfire.

I prelube with liquid Alox so I dont have to carry messy stuff to the range (sods law says you will have a mishap and get it every where)

Pure lead ones press in a treat in my Rogers and Spencer .44, but as you say accuracy ain't too good.

Try thick wads to buffer the bang, 777 is more violent than BP.

A ball would be a lot lighter than a conical, and if you look up reloading charts for cartridges, as you increase the weight of the projectile you reduce the powder charge. It's mostly to reduce breech pressure.

Life would be so much easier if there was a weight chart for 777 it gets awkward working between weighed and volumetric measures. For BP guns we are supposed to use measurements by volume Pyrodex works out like for like.
    777 is 15% hotter so Hodgdons say reduce your charge bt 15% by volume.

We use volume at the range because the spout of our powder flasks will deliver the same ammount whether it be BP or Pyro. Not so forr 777 you either have to use a different spout or go over to vials/phials and pre measure.
    Pre measure has major benefits, its safer to pour that small ammount than have the equivilent of a bomb in your hand, it also means you can get your charges more accurate by weighing on precision scales.

Can some of you weigh 10gr by vol 777 and tell us what it weighs to create a standard measure to calculate a scale from. perhaps other measures like 20gr and 30gr.

The best I can offer is 17.5gr by vol in my measure weighs 11.5gr
    Last edited by Smokeless Coal; 25-05-2007 at 09:07 AM.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    Is this a .44? If so, that's a heavy old bullet. Try .454 round ball [the ones I use are just over 143g] with the same powder load - powder, then filler (semolina for me), felt wad then ball.

My pistol (Pietta Rem 'Texas' .44) groups well with this load provided I do my stuff.

I did try conicals but found ball to be better for me.

I have noticed if I go hotter on the load I get tumblers. I recon this is because the fast burning powder is stripping the dia and its not biting the rifling.

A cure for this would be to use a harder alloy as we would for hotter cartridges but this creates problems. First its too much strain on the loading lever so a bench press would be less damaging to the gun. Second if you have a mishap and have to draw the ball it wont be as easy to screw an extractor in.

Alternatively reduce the strain and use thicker wads. Or stick to light loads. Or go back to balls as John says.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Quote Originally Posted by John Bedford View Post
    Is this a .44? If so, that's a heavy old bullet. Try .454 round ball [the ones I use are just over 143g] with the same powder load - powder, then filler (semolina for me), felt wad then ball.

My pistol (Pietta Rem 'Texas' .44) groups well with this load provided I do my stuff.

I did try conicals but found ball to be better for me.
    yes its a .44 and the bullet is home made using the standard lee molds advertised in their mags

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Coal View Post
    I have noticed if I go hotter on the load I get tumblers. I recon this is because the fast burning powder is stripping the dia and its not biting the rifling.

A cure for this would be to use a harder alloy as we would for hotter cartridges but this creates problems. First its too much strain on the loading lever so a bench press would be less damaging to the gun. Second if you have a mishap and have to draw the ball it wont be as easy to screw an extractor in.

Alternatively reduce the strain and use thicker wads. Or stick to light loads. Or go back to balls as John says.
    where can i get a bench press