I was interested to read peoples opinions on cleaning black powder guns. Here is something NOT to use.

A couple of years ago I was working at a casual job and found out that one of the others working there was a shooter. Naturally at any spare moment we had we talked about shooting. I raised the subject of cleaning black powder guns and the time it took. He suggested Mr Muscle Bathroom Cleaner.

The next time I shot black powder I used my beloved Le Page .44 percussion pistol. On getting home I used the Mr Muscle and yes it was good at removing black powder, but it was also very good at removing the beautiful browning from the barrel.

To say I was upset was an understatement! I have come to the conclusion that this person must have shot a stainless steel pistol, and I feel he must have meant well.

A very good friend of mine, who has been a gunsmith for countless years, tried to re-brown the pistol, but the solution wouldn't take. Eventually he managed it but it has never been quite the same. Maybe Pedersoli use a special process when they brown their guns.

I would always advise black powder shooters to only use proprietory black powder cleaners such as Henry Kranks or Napiers.