Thread: Cleaning B.P. Brass Cases

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Avoid using acids on brass. It eats the copper molecules but not the zinc and turns them black if left for too long. A long alkali rinse helps to neutralize the action but the damage is done and the cases weakened.

Tumbler or ultrasonic is a matter of choice. I prefer tumbled for four hours including a while with metal polish added.

Seems you're into old style shooting HaresEar, BP catridges, 130 yo m/l. I wonder whether the m/l is smooth bore or rifled.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Nice, what caliber?
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

10.4 x 38 Swiss. It's shoving a .429" 310 grain slug at 1350 fps at the muzzle.
    Robin

Er, is that rimfire? I have a vague recollection of them having their own special caliber beast.

The original calibre was rimfire. The rifle has to be converted to centrefire. Then you need to butcher .348 winchester brass. they need to be shortened, then expanded at the neck to accept the Vetterli slug. Then they have to be fire formed. I use a set of modified .44 mag pistol dies to do this with.
    Robin