Thread: HW35, 'can't hit a barn door' syndrome

Unhappy HW35, 'can't hit a barn door' syndrome

Hi all,
    I have been recommended to post on here about my old 35 which I am having problems with, they're not quite as bad as the thread title makes

I got it as my first gun and it was great, I only used the open sights on it but it would accurately drop a rabbit from 30yards, however I started to find myself missing shots and when I shot at a target it missed the target, it had somehow lost its zero, so I thought nothing of it and thought i must have caught the sights and altered them and proceeded to set it up again, now comes the problem, with the rear sight wound as far right as it will go the gun is still shooting a few inches left and the grouping of shots is quite broad. I can't think why this should be, i have a feeling that my dad may have oiled the action with engine oil but I can't see that making a difference though I could be wrong Anyway, I thought I would see if anyone could shed any light on it as I like shooting with the old Weihrauch, it's more challenging than my S400

Many thanks in advance!!!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    If your Dad oiled the action with engine oil it is likely that it is 'dieselling', and it may be that a particularly violent diesel detonation has ruined the spring. What happens is that the very high pressures in the air cylinder generates enough heat to ignite the vapourised oil and this causes an explosion which can put unbearable stress on the spring. I recommend that you buy a new standard spring and carefully follow the instructions in this thread:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/show...74#post1884574

You can buy SM50 and Abbey LT2 grease from the sponsor's website. My .22 35E will shoot a less than 1" group at 45 yards in still air and it was made in 1978! You need to make sure the breech is correctly adjusted as slack jaws will mean large groups. These guns are superb and will last a lifetime, longer than your PCP I am sure.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 26-05-2007 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    These guns are superb and will last a lifetime, longer than your PCP I am sure.
    I will second that.
    Perhaps its time to give the old girl a service and a bit of TLC. They are built like brick out houses (and easy to strip) so you could possibly get away with refreshing the leather piston head and maybe a new spring (please - not an Ox ) and re-lube.
    If you need any further help or advice give a shout on here. There is several members capable and willing to help restore these classic rifles.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Hi
    If you have not done so,I would check the front stock and trigger guard screws especially the rear as they have a habit of coming loose sometimes.

Neil
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

Hi

I think you will find that your barrel has become bent. The HW35 has a thin barrel and most probible cause is that someone has cocked the gun and squeezed the trigger with the barrel still open and the whiplash has caused the barrel to bend.

I have seen this twice on an HW35 & one on a HW80.

Look down the bore and check it out.

Hope this helps