Thread: Silicone oil and old springers

Silicone oil and old springers

After reading the terrible story about the use of Silicone oils on a thread in the the General Airgun Info section, I am wondering whether we should use these oils at all if there are better alternatives.

I refer mainly to the use of ABBEY silicone oil for lubrication of leather washers in old springers as recommended in a number of tuning threads in this forum. I have used this oil and to date I have had had no problems, but the seeds of doubt have been sowed.

Has anyone had experience with other lubricants for leather washers such as Weboil, synthetic oils or neatsfoot oil.

Mike
    Classic BSA and Webley rifles and Pistols

When does collecting change from a hobby to an obsession?

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggard View Post
    After reading the terrible story about the use of Silicone oils on a thread in the the General Airgun Info section, I am wondering whether we should use these oils at all if there are better alternatives.

I refer mainly to the use of ABBEY silicone oil for lubrication of leather washers in old springers as recommended in a number of tuning threads in this forum. I have used this oil and to date I have had had no problems, but the seeds of doubt have been sowed.

Has anyone had experience with other lubricants for leather washers such as Weboil, synthetic oils or neatsfoot oil.

Mike
    Yes,
    I have a whacking great tin of neatsfoot oil that was bought purely for doing a leather piston seal. It's worked very well indeed and costs significantly less than anything sold as a gun product.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!