Thread: Good first BP rifle

Good first BP rifle

What would you recommend for a first BP muzzle loading rifle? I intend to use it for fairly informal target shooting at Bisley etc.

I'm filling in my FAC application and I'm not sure what to enter regarding the caliber - what would give me the best choice of affordable, accurate muzzleloaders?

Ben

Best rifle is the best you can afford.

First of all you need to decide what you intend to use it for, how much time you intend to spend on learning how to shoot it well and what distances you want to compete at.
    You should spend some time at Bisley or other ranges and see what is being used and take advice from club members.
    I use a .577 at short ranges, 100 & 200 yards and a Parker Hale 0.451 Volunteer upto 300 yards but I know some of the club members will take the same rifles to 500 & 600 yards.

I have a Parker Hale 2 band Volunteer for sale, posted 27 May.

If you want something a bit different I also have a Scheutzen 0.45 rifle that can be used from 50 yards to 200 yards. This is in the Perdersoli catalogue and is rather unusual as the hammer travels towards you! It is safe with an eye blinder and it has an integral shield. Not something for novices!
    HM

I'm most likely going to be using it at ranges up to 600yds. So, putting something like "0.45" Black Powder muzzleloading rifle" on my FAC application wouldn't put me too far wrong then...

Cheers for the advice - I'm afraid I'm going to have to wait for my FAC to be granted before I can start buying though!

Ben