Thread: Help want to identify a gun

Sharpshooter* Guest

Help want to identify a gun

I have an old air rifle that I know very little about. The details which are visiable are as followed:

BSA Air rifle
    Made by: The Birmingham Small Arms Company Limited
    Serial No. 12692A

Would you be able to tell me any more about this gun such as age as I cant find any information on it anywhere on the web. Thought this would be the place to find out.

Cheers.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter* View Post
    I have an old air rifle that I know very little about. The details which are visiable are as followed:

BSA Air rifle
    Made by: The Birmingham Small Arms Company Limited
    Serial No. 12692A

Would you be able to tell me any more about this gun such as age as I cant find any information on it anywhere on the web. Thought this would be the place to find out.

Cheers.
    Is it an under-lever or a break-barrel? Wooden stock or just a wooden butt? Any other markings? At this early stage I'm going to guess its a Cadet or a Cadet Major (unless it is an under lever)... More info please to help us so we can help you . ATB: Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Sharpshooter* Guest
    It is an under-lever gun but looks very old as it doesn't have any wood round the under-lever/ trigger only a wooden stock. The stock has a "Trade Mark" Logo near the shoulder end. Hope this helps in your conclusions.

Cheers.

It is an under-lever gun but looks very old as it doesn't have any wood round the under-lever/ trigger only a wooden stock. The stock has a "Trade Mark" Logo near the shoulder end. Hope this helps in your conclusions.

Cheers.
    Does it look similar to this?

Cheers.
    Ahh, an under-lever, Steve above has posted a few photos of the underlever style of BSA from the early part of the last Century, and am sure our very own Lakey will be along any moment now to help you shed further light. ATB: Gareth W-B.

ps. if it is in .177 chances are it may be a Light-Pattern like mine -- but what do I know ?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Sharpshooter* Guest
    YES- It looks almost identical to that gun. Although it doesn’t have the sight on near to the trigger and the stock similar to that of a modern gun. Do you know much about these guns? Serial No.12692A

Thanks

YES- It looks almost identical to that gun. Although it doesn’t have the sight on near to the trigger and the stock similar to that of a modern gun. Do you know much about these guns? Serial No.12692A

Thanks
    Not very much, sorry mate, it was an educated guess from your description. There are many variants (or patterns) of this type of pre-war BSA. At least we know it's a pre-war BSA variant for a start.

I'll leave you in the capable hands of Gareth, and Lakey (should he happen along), and other collectors who know far more than I do.

Hi Sharpshooter,

You have one of the best Airguns known to mankind (IMHO). You have a pre Great War BSA Underlever Airrifle. I am very fond of these guns. I have looked up your serial number in John Knibbs great book -

BSA and Lincoln Jeffries Air Rifles - A concise Illustrated History of their Development and Manufacture 1904-1908

And your Rifle was maufactured in the period Jan - Feb 1907, and dispatched from the factory the same year. The A at the end of the serial number is a bit of a mystery, I have never seen one like it before. However your rifle was one of the Fifth Batch of Air rifles made by the BSA factory so it is quite an early one.

All the best

Lakey

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Hi Sharpshooter,

You have one of the best Airguns known to mankind (IMHO) . You have a pre Great War BSA Underlever Airrifle. I am very fond of these guns. I have looked up your serial number in John Knibbs great book -

BSA and Lincoln Jeffries Air Rifles - A concise Illustrated History of their Development and Manufacture 1904-1908

And your Rifle was maufactured in the period Jan - Feb 1907, and dispatched from the factory the same year. The A at the end of the serial number is a bit of a mystery, I have never seen one like it before. However your rifle was one of the Fifth Batch of Air rifles made by the BSA factory so it is quite an early one.

All the best

Lakey
    ... Thats spooky as that was just what I was about to say too . Ha ha, nice one Andy : Gareth W-B.

Sharpshooter* Guest
    Thank for all your help- you boys certainly know your guns.