Thread: Info on Mercury S

Info on Mercury S

I am thinking of buying a Mercury S or Challenger
    Could anyone answer any of my queries and tell me

1 If there were any changes to the spec of the Mercury S during its production run and what they were.
    2 Are the later models a big improvement and in bigger demand?
    3 Do the early S models have a pin through the breech jaws to hinge the barrel or do all S models have a screw/bolt through the jaws to take up wear and tear?
    4 How much would a .22 version of the Mercury S cost in VGC - approx
    5 Is the Challenger an even better gun
    6 How much would a Challenger cost(.22 or .177) in VGC - approx

Thanks in anticipation
    John
    hold me back !!

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post
    I am thinking of buying a Mercury S or Challenger
    Could anyone answer any of my queries and tell me

1 If there were any changes to the spec of the Mercury S during its production run and what they were.
    2 Are the later models a big improvement and in bigger demand?
    3 Do the early S models have a pin through the breech jaws to hinge the barrel or do all S models have a screw/bolt through the jaws to take up wear and tear?
    4 How much would a .22 version of the Mercury S cost in VGC - approx
    5 Is the Challenger an even better gun
    6 How much would a Challenger cost(.22 or .177) in VGC - approx

Thanks in anticipation
    John
    Hi John, having had an early Mercury-S and a late Mercury-S in .177, I can confirm both models have a screw/bolt through the breech. The barrels on the Mercury-S are also thicker in diameter than on the standard Mercury, and the main difference between the Standard and the "S" is that the "S" has an extra link on the cocking mechanism which enables the stock cut-out on the under side for the "S" to be about 3" long instead of 7" as on the standard. The only difference I ever noticed between my early and late "S" was that the walnut stock on the early version was a very dark brown and deep red swirl American walnut, whereas my later one has a golden brown Turkish blonde walnut. Both seem a much softer shoot than the standard Mercury (of which I also have an example), but this may just be me? My early Mercury-S was considered a steel when I bought it a little while ago for £175 plus post, and if you want a later blonde walnut one in vgc, you'll get no change out of £250. All my Mercurys are in .177 though so sorry, can't advise on prices of an "S" in .22, but I would best guess them to be about 15% cheaper as with the standard models (hope this helps ). ATB: Gareth W-B.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 30-05-2007 at 08:23 PM. Reason: to ad the bit about best guess pricing an "S" in .22.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

John, have made no mention of the Challenger Mercury as detailed in your opening post in my answer as above, as have no experience of them. Have been back and found a thread which may help however, and have copied a link to it below (reference to the Challenger starts about half way down). Again I hope this helps . ATB: GWB.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Mercury S

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Hi John, having had an early Mercury-S and a late Mercury-S in .177, I can confirm both models have a screw/bolt through the breech. The barrels on the Mercury-S are also thicker in diameter than on the standard Mercury, and the main difference between the Standard and the "S" is that the "S" has an extra link on the cocking mechanism which enables the stock cut-out on the under side for the "S" to be about 3" long instead of 7" as on the standard. --- (hope this helps ). ATB: Gareth W-B.
    Many thanks for this information Gareth W-B, I had looked in JK's Golden Century but it didn't make it clear.
    I have owned Mk 1 and Mk2 Mercury's in the past and I always felt that the breech pin let them down (especially when compared with FWB, Original-Diana and HW break barrel rivals).

Having said that, I have just overhauled a 'well worn' Mk 2 with a very sloppy breech, so apart from fitting a new breech pin, I also nipped up the breech jaws in the workmate (rather than shimming it). This got rid of the free play and I then tested the gun with 5.6mm Wasps over 20 yards. I must admit that I was very surprised at just how good this old rifle's grouping was.
    Thanks again for info, it looks like I will have to buy one (and then maybe a Challenger)
    John
    hold me back !!

Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post
    Many thanks for this information Gareth W-B.
    Hi John, my pleasure mate, as swapping information and supporting each other is what this section is all about . All the best and happy Mercury-S hunting (double meaning intended ): Gareth W-B.