Thread: Light Pattern

Light Pattern

Can anyone help?
    I recently acquired a BSA Light pattern c.1921 and inscribed along the top of the barrel is the following:
    Stratton-Instone Ltd., 27 Pall Mall, London, SW.
    Does anyone know anything about this company or where I might be able to look them up? Just curious really. Thanks, Paul.
    TX200 collector, ex - BFTO member and vintage BSA rifle anorak!
    Get yourself something useful.....
    HERE!

Hi paul,
    This is the daimler dealership in Pall mall,that displayed the full BSA Range,it is refered to in J knibbs book p54,but I would doubt every gun sold from there would be stamped with thier address(probably Wrong)...Lakey may know...
    hope this helps
    TIM
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows...

Mowerman,

I have heard of BSA guns having their barrels engraved. I remember seeing a photo of a fine BSA underlever engraved with "Army and Navy Ltd" on the Barrel.
    I would think you only got your gun engraved if you bought a Daimler at the same time Maybe they even did it free if you bought two Daimlers???

I personally feel that any engraving or stock marking adds tremendously to the interest of the gun. I have an good Improved model D standard length .177, with a side button cocking lever - marked ' W. Chalkley, Winchester' on the end of the pistol grip.

William Chalkley was a gunmaker and taxidermist (my own part time profession! ) who had a gun shop and Iron mongers shop in the square in Winchester from about 1890 to around the late 1950's.

It is a beautiful gun anyway, but I bought it purely for the inscription on the stock. so I would think for that reason, the inscription on the barrel of your gun should add something to the price in my opinion.

All the Best

Lakey

Thanks

Thankyou gents, as always a veritable mine of information!
    I'll post some pics of the engraving when I've finished restoring it.
    Thanks again, Paul.
    TX200 collector, ex - BFTO member and vintage BSA rifle anorak!
    Get yourself something useful.....
    HERE!