Thread: Stampin Stocks

Stampin Stocks

HI ALL,
    In my very small collection of airifles,I have a few with personal stampings(obviously this train of thought brought about by mowwermans thread),which leads me to assume a great many pre-war guns were stamped by thier owners.........WHY ??Nobody would dream of doin it today !!
    was it..
    Utility overode asthetics totaly...doubt it
    Guns were stolen more often...doubt that
    Nobody thought they were ever gonna sell em on ...dunno..
    Perhaps I am just lucky enough to have dropped on to these....Would be interested to know if alot were stamped...Lakey ?? Ian ??Micheal ??anybody else in the know??
    TIM(thinkin about avin the paul wilson done.....NOT,but would consider the JW,if I could get it done nice.. on reflection)
    Last edited by tjg; 31-05-2007 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Tryin to spell,just a fad I'm goin through !!
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows...

Tim,

I have replied to mowermans thread about a stamping that I have on one of my guns.

For the answers to your question, you have to go back to 1904/1905, when BSA first started marketing their guns.
    The BSA Air rifle was the first mass produced,& volume marketed airgun in the UK. Up until that point BSA had only either worked on Government contract for military guns or/and made Bicycle spares.Airgun production was a totally new concept. All other guns available on the civilian market were hand made/fitted one offs, made by proper craftsmen gun makers.

The BSA air rifle, was such a ground breaking design, and so very far ahead of other airguns around at the time, that they were very valuable and sought after things. BSA sold them through guns shops as you would expect, but also Village shops, Iron Mongers, Hardware Shops, Garages, Bycycle repair shops.
    With so much choice around for prospective purchasers, as to where they could buy their next BSA Air rifle, it is not surprising that a few far thinking suppliers marked their guns with names and addresses etc, so that the gun acted as an on going advertisment for the shop in question.

Also I would think the shops got a bit of positive PR from being associated with supplying the very latest mass produced designs of the new mega accurate BSA Airgun.
    Most people would have probably tried the guns at shooting clubs initially, as they were approximately a months wages (for a skilled man) to buy, (so I have been told as I wasn't about at the time) so if they then went on to buy one after initial trials, it wouldn't do the shop any harm to leave their details on the gun. In fact that way they were half way there to the next sale so to speak.

Also in the case of personal stamping by owners, you have to understand that BSA underlevers were used and bought for Bell target/ formal target shooting. They were way too expensive for the average man to use tham as a plinking gun. Good bell target shooters were as locally famous as Top flight tennis stars, or snooker professionals are today. There was no customising of guns or personalisation of guns much in those days, however most people altered sights or adjusted trigger pulls etc according to their personal requirements. Therefore one of the only ways of making sure you always knew which BSA was yours was to personally mark them with names or initals etc. In the same way that a darts or snooker player marks his or her arrows or que etc. This is my theory anyway.

Bell target shooting was serious stuff especially up in the midlands, where serious sums of money were often won or lost. Most pubs/ and working mens clubs etc had their own teams.

Most people don't realise that the old BSA's were such hot stuff when they first came out. And in my opinion they still are pretty good 100 years on.

All the best Tim

Lakey
    Last edited by Lakey; 31-05-2007 at 03:28 PM.

Hi Lakey
    Thanks for your reply,i was kind of thinkin the initials were of a personal nature,but yea, i take on board the idea of a shop or outlet stamping initials..Anybody else got any interesting stampings ??
    Tim.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows...

I have seen three types of stamps on older rifles:
    Makers' stamps (BSA did some super ones, I also miss Webley's white roundels)
    Vendors' Stamps (Name and address of the shop)
    Owners' initials or names carved or on a plate set into the stock

I suppose the makers stopped stamping to save money. I don't know why the vendors stopped as it was free advertising and now of great historical interest. Owners marks seem to have died out in the same way as folkcrafts such as scrimshaw or whittling stopped. I suppose in the bell-target days when these guns were very valuable and you might have a pub full of guns all looking the same, it was a way of picking out your rifle as you prepared to stagger home. A shame that the practice of stamping stocks has passed on.

Apparently some of the stars of Cowboy serials had personalized rifles, some kids copied their heroes and embossed or stamped their own personalization into stocks. I have heard of stocks being embellished with initials formed of nails hammered into the wood, and brass inlaying too.

Years ago some government out in the far east bought hundreds of European air rifles, mostly German, for training youths to shoot. These were retreived by the government after a few decades, sold off as a job lot, and were bought up by a British collector who wrote an article about it in one of the magazines ("Airguns by the Ton", can't remember which month/year but believe it was 'Airgun World'). Many of these guns had been personalised with nails, brass plates, brass inlaying, even initials and arabic script burnt into the stocks with pokers!

I suppose stamping died out when manufacturers stopped oiling stocks and went over to varnish, obviously stamping into a varnished stock would crack and damage the varnish finish. It would be much easier to stamp into an old-fashioned oiled wood stock without damaging the surface finish.

Hi Rockphoon,
    cracked me up..you can imagine it can't yer, Sat morning...sittin in the chair in yer long johns..head bustin in one hand, mug of tea in the other.Missus givin it the verbal from the kitchen "How you feelin now DRUNKEN boy, Can't hear yer singin now".. Deliberate pause .."Out again at DINNER time,if yer are wear sum bloody body armour" long pause "Billy bloody bare knuckles,you know that horrible pig that knocks is missus around and drinks nearly as much as you and you think he's the bees knees cause he's always fightin and swearin and shoots the best......cum round this smornin...reckons you dragged his gun home last night,couldn't give it him back..cause it lay were you left it in the rain when you tumbled and the kids thought it was dumped and took it down the allotments"
    Hi Rob,
    Intersted to hear about the article in mag missed that one,good point about the varnish,it was probably at this point in time Airguns became cheaper and a more acssesable comodity,pride in ownership may have wained a little
    TIM
    Last edited by tjg; 01-06-2007 at 01:14 PM.

I dont know about stamping stocks but one of my old BSA underlevers has someones initials (JTR) scratched into the stock. Upon seeing this a club member said that he could remove them and refinish the stock. He looked rather bemused why I replied that I would rather keep them. The rifle was a 'user' far from immaculate, the marks added 'character' to the gun and I got pleasure from shooting it like the manufacturers intended. It was pre first world war so who knows the history behind 'JTR'.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Hi Ian,
    I've got one with H.J.B. stamped underneath ,would dearly love to refurbish the stock but don't want to loose this..Would love to hear if anybody has any stamped with fairground shootin gallery I.D.,I'll bet this was common practise,might also be traceable,
    TIM

Didn't BSA also stamp them with the stock length ?

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

A Friend of mine has a superb 'as new' Webley Mk.2 Service 3rd. pattern in it's box, with a retailers stamp deeply embossed on the RH side of the stock.
    It is the only one I have seen like it.

Hi Troubleshooter,
    I have a BSA with W.S.CORNICK. stamped twice,but funnily enough upside down to the large BSA emboss on the pistol grip....but a superb name that.. W.S .CORNICK,that is straight from a cowboy filum...
    TIM