Thread: Mercury...

Mercury...

...rising.

OK I give in, bear with me here chaps, I get there eventually

Back when I was 11 or so I finally wore my parents down and convinced them to let me spend my pot washing money on an air rifle. Not an inconsiderable feat bearing in mind my mother is a closet hippy and anything even resembling a gun had been confiscated through my childhood So off we went, my father and I, to George Bates in Brum who promptly did a proper job by flogging me a rifle/scope combo that was twice the size and twice the cost than was suitable on the basis, I think, that I'd grow into it and pater isn't short of a bob.

The rifle? A BSA Mercury.... bliss and a large garden & farm to plink away to my hearts content whilst hatching dastardly plans for the local municipal park's duck population (I was 11 I didn't know any better OK!)

3 weeks later some effing sod broke into the house and nicked it (amongst other things) and that was it, my mother decided somehow or other that this was fate and no more guns at least until I buggered off to Uni and immediately blew a chunk of my grant on a mail order Mk1 Supersport from Burgers

So to cut a very pointless story short I have recently picked up a mid 80's period scope and so now want a mid 80's Mercury to pair it with. Does have to be a "S" but doesn't have to be walnut (although it would be nice). Does have to be 0.177", doesn't have to be perfect but no rust please.

What you got guys? PM/mail me and help a boyhood memory rise from the ashes

Mercury

I've got a lovely Mercury S in walnut with a Bushnell scope that I never seem to use !!..Just one tiny mark on the stock near a screw but otherwise immaculate..
    Trouble is , its .22 of course !!
    Back at the computer on Sunday or Monday.

Hi, I have " Many " meteor barrels, All .177, I thought they were the same, ! Also a meteor Cheap ?
    Cheers,

Hmmm...

...tempted, have no problem with a mix and match (subject to confirmation) maybe you would like to PM me some prices

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    I have recently picked up a mid 80's period scope and so now want a mid 80's Mercury to pair it with. Does have to be a "S" but doesn't have to be walnut (although it would be nice). Does have to be 0.177", doesn't have to be perfect but no rust.
    Hi sbd, if it is a Mercury-S you are after, walnut is the only option of stock available other than a Heinz 57, as all BSA Mercury-S rifles were walnut and notwithstanding the odd special, all the standard Mercurys were beach . Have pasted a couple of links below which may help however, but in .177 a mint Mercury-S could set you back up to (and even over) £250, and an average to good £175 and up (best guess .22 examples to be around 15% cheaper ). Even standard .177 Mercury rifles sell for around the £175 mark and up as so few were made, where as you can often find a fair to good or good to very good condition .22 standard Mercury for anything from £50 up to £150 (depending on condition) plus post. Will leave you now with the links. Terrah : Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Many...

...thanks Gareth, actually I had already read your led posts at length and gleaned much

OK so I'm going to upgrade myself - Merc S, 0.177", walnut, £250(+) - if it's a good'un

Andy

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    ...thanks Gareth, actually I had already read your led posts at length and gleaned much

OK so I'm going to upgrade myself - Merc S, 0.177", walnut, £250(+) - if it's a good'un

Andy

Ha ha! Hi Andy, thats the spirit, but if it doesn't need to be pristine, just neat and tidy with no deep donks, dents or rust etc, as I said, still think you may be able to find one around £175/£200 (and possibly to include post at that too ). ATB and good luck: Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

i have an airsporter s' in 177 and a mercury of lesser class in 22 and ive vowed i'd never part with either, the falcon goes first

Anyone...

...looking to realise a little cash?