Thread: Question..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pyrodex is offline "Bother" said Pooh, as he hid Piglets corpse..

Question..

i have just got my firearms licence back after a variation request- i asked for amongst other things the ability to use solid shot for my .50 smooth bore muzzle loader- which i have on my shotgun licence.
    the FLO that came round was great, very friendly and great to deal with, but he didnt know much about muzzle loaders, and couldnt tell me whether there was a limit on the number of solid shot to possess like my rifle ammo, so he said he'd get back to me. he didnt, and my cert has dropped through my door with everything i had asked for on it EXEPT the entry for solid shot.
    its too late to call them tonight, so i thought i'd check on here before i phone them in the morning (i bet they are sick of me-ive been chasing my cert for weeks)
    can anyone clarify whether they have not given me this because you dont need a seperate entry on an FAC to use solid shot in a muzzle loader (unlike a cartridge shotgun) or whether it is a clerical error i have to bend ears for!?
    There is no "I" in "Team", but there are four in "Platitude-Quoting Idiot".

I think your smooth bore would have to be entered under section 1 FAC to fire single shot. There is a minimum number of shot to fire as a shotgun I think it's 5.

There would be no limit to the number of single shot slugs you hold as there is no limit to the number of just heads that anyone can hold without a ticket (except fragmenting heads)

I'm not certain and I'm sure someone will come along and correct me if I am wrong.

Just had a rethink and you have me stumped now.

m/l with rifled barrel is sec1
    m/l with smooth bore is sec 2 ie musket, a musket would by definition fire a ball.

No I pass on this one.
    Last edited by Smokeless Coal; 31-05-2007 at 07:10 PM.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

see what i mean? its a puzzler isnt it!
    i think it may be the case that it being a smooth bore it doesnt have to be entered.. like you said- its a musket and by definition fires ball.. but i wouldnt like to be wrong..

anyone?

Theres certainly no direct reference to this area in the home office guidance to police - my guess on this is that a shotgun certificate would still be fine as your not using cartridges/ammunition. The slug restriction is based on a type of cartridge/ammunition - that is the number and size of projectiles in a cartridge.

As long as the gun is listed on your FAC, along with any others you own, then you're OK to shoot single ball with it.

Muzzle loader ammunition components (ie: the balls) don't have to be entered on your FAC like rimfire/centrefire stuff and there's no restriction on how many you can hold.

If the gun isn't listed on your FAC but covered by a SGC instead then you cannot legally use single ball. You need to apply for a variation on your FAC to have it added as a firearm.

.......I think.
    Last edited by John Bedford; 01-06-2007 at 09:15 AM.