Thread: Question..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi
    If you load it with a solid ball it is not a shotgun. You need it on your FAC.
    I took advice on exactly this scenario when renewing an FAC holders ticket several years ago.
    I'm retired now but as far as I am aware the law has not changed

Re the parlour pistol. You say its modern manufacture so no Section 58 exemption then. (Modern is held to be manufactured after 1939).
    In the first instance it is definately not a Section 2 firearm as it will have a barrel less than 24 inches.
    Is it capable of inflicting a lethal injury? (This held to be in excess of 1 joule). If yes then it is a lethal barreled weapon and therefore a firearm.
    It is most certainly not an airgun as the means of propulsion is the chemical reaction/gas effect of an exploding percussion cap and not compressed air /CO 2 etc.
    It is therefore a section 1 muzzle loading pistol and must be entered on your FAC if you want to shoot it!

A friend had to classify some zimmer shutezen held by the Imperial War museum. Granted they were antiques but had to be tested and classified for some reason.
    They have an 8" barrel and fired flobert caps, all produced under 6ft/lb so were designated airguns. An explosion creates a compressed gas in a confined space. The release of gas create MV within the range of an airgun.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

All I can say is .... get in in writing from your FEO.
    I've seen more than one decent person dragged through the courts because of 'misunderstandings' in relation to personal interpretations of the various Firearms Acts by those who should know better!!!!

Its lodged with an RFD awaiting written result from ACPO.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Smokeless Coal...
    You Sir, are a wise man !!!!
    Lee