Thread: 777 Fffg

777 Fffg

Hello,

I've just got a tub of 777 FFFG to try out ( I wont be getting used to it at that price ) and wondered if anyone has any suggested loadings. I have .44 and .36 Remington replicas and for BP use a 24gn and 18gn spout, ball straight on top and a bit of grease so like the simple approach ....

Regards

Corrie

I'd cut down on the size of spout. 777 is 15% more powerful so charges should be reduced accordingly. You should reduce your loads to as light as possible for target anyway, less recoil or wrist ache.

18gr sounds about right for the 44 and I'd go for around 12gr in the 36, which would mean just one extra spout.

Its more expensive but you will use less and save a fair bit on cleaning materials/time.

For an even easier load use a wad to reduce the risk of flashover but liquid alox your balls that way theres no greasy mess while firing. Alox may not be good with BP but it works well with 777.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Thanks for the starter ... I use alox on my .357 loads so I'll 'do some balls' - and with 18gr I would need some filler to seat the ball on so a wad should do the trick.

Regarding light loads I've found too light and the gun starts moving before the ball has left resulting in a large POI shift upwards - plus I like a big bang

What cleaning procedure would you recommend? With BP its a full strip and into a bowl of hot soapy water .. then a coating of WD to finish. I'm guessing without the grease and a cleaner powder things should be a lot less messy ...

Regards

Corrie

“If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Well I love 777 - 18 grains and a bit of filler is spot on ... cleaning afterwards is a snap. Need to sort the .36 loads next.

Regards

Corrie

tis good innit.
    it likes alox too so far less mess.

Just back from my weekly constitutional, nowt like a blast with a hand cannon to blow all the cares away.

Like I said about 12gr in your .36 as a max perhaps down to 8gr for a nice light load.

It burns quicker than the other stuff so should cure any lag. To make it go a little quicker try to get hold of Remmington "hotter" caps.

A bit late, so no point in posting other than to inform you all of another dedicated 777 user, me.
    Fortune favors the brave...

Well I still haven't sourced a 12gn nozzle to try my .36 out - I have tried cutting down a 24gn but its so wide I can't get it in the hole

Anyone want to sell me a small nozzle or point me in the direction of a supply?

Regards

Corrie

Corrie, another method is to use vial/phials and weigh you powder into them at home.
    A lot of clubs are now frowning at the use of flasks and potentially a bomb in your hand.

You can get greater accuracy by weighing, just remember 12gr by weight is a lot more than 12gr by volume. Try weighing 24gr from your spout and halve it.

Start weighing your loads for a bit more precision in your shots. Weigh your balls too (eek) and match them as sets. Make sure your nipples are all from a matching set as well, the holes can vary. Dont mix caps between tins they can alter the let off by a miniscule ammount. Old caps are not the same as new caps, I buy mine 10 tins at a time so they should be consistant and hopefully from the same batch.
    Last edited by Smokeless Coal; 10-08-2007 at 07:03 PM.

As an after thought to the thread about poor service by Rockphoon I would like to add a bit on good service.

I often use Wilson and Wilson for mail order of 777. Ordered some friday here today monday, usually next day so this was slower than normal.

777 £29.99 + £6.20 p+p

I'm more than happy with service. The guy on the phone sounds like Marvin the Paranoid Android. Give him a ring if you want powder or ball 01843 822242.