Thread: bsa mercury piston head

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ideot Savant Guest
    again

Not sure what you've got.

There is the Piston Head, the "O" ring that goes on it and a buffer washer that does between the head and the piston.

ATB
    Ray.

Ideot Savant Guest
    Well, its a ring of spring steel thats just in front of the o-ring and its only function seems to scratch the inside of the cylinder. I have removed it and will try the rifle later tonight.
    I could actually fit a second o-ring in the groove left behind instead, but two o-rings seems a bit silly

Quote Originally Posted by Ideot Savant View Post
    Well, its a ring of spring steel thats just in front of the o-ring and its only function seems to scratch the inside of the cylinder. I have removed it and will try the rifle later tonight.
    I could actually fit a second o-ring in the groove left behind instead, but two o-rings seems a bit silly
    I'm lost on that one. I can't think why something like that should be fitted. It also sounds like the groove is a bit wide. Perhaps that's why someone tried to close it up with the metal ring ?
    ATB
    Ray.

jonballs is offline born to shoot, shoot to hunt, hunt to eat
    i`ve had 2 of my own and 3 other Mercury's that have had the "metal ring " and have removed them all with no ill effect

cheers

jon
    jon barber

touch wood i`ve never had a bad sale on the bbs

Looking on Chambers there is nothing resembling a metal ring on any of the Mercury's or variations.

As it's not a one off it seems strange that they don't list it

ATB
    Ray.

Ideot Savant Guest
    This is a mk1 z serial number one, about 1973 I think. Perhaps they emoved them on later ones.

Ideot Savant Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jonballs View Post
    i`ve had 2 of my own and 3 other Mercury's that have had the "metal ring " and have removed them all with no ill effect

cheers

jon
    Great, good to know. Bit of a mystery why its fitted at all?