Thread: Solid shot in smooth-bores- official verdict..

Pyrodex is offline "Bother" said Pooh, as he hid Piglets corpse..

Solid shot in smooth-bores- official verdict..

Further to the thread i started last week i have the official answer from Winchester firearms department-
    rifled muzzleloaders are section 1,
    smoothbore muzzleloaders are section 2, and most importantly-
    solid shot is fine to use in a smooth bore muzzle loader on a section 2 shotgun licence!!
    also there is no legal distiction between conventional spherical ball ammunition and conical rifled slugs..
    im a happy chappy..
    There is no "I" in "Team", but there are four in "Platitude-Quoting Idiot".

God blimey!!! .....bring on the boar

it'll be tested against bunnys i think, i know its accurate enough to 30 or 40 yards- no-one can say its not humane.. also on short siberia range at bisley.. upto 200 yards- which will be a giggle..
    ive got to make a mold for rifled slugs now..

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrodex View Post
    solid shot is fine to use in a smooth bore muzzle loader on a section 2 shotgun licence!!
    Did they use the term 'solid shot'? the normal shotgun load consists of solid shot, or did they say a single lead ball?
    Daz

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    Did they use the term 'solid shot'? the normal shotgun load consists of solid shot, or did they say a single lead ball?
    Daz
    oo you hair splitter- lol no that was me- they actually said single ball- or something like that- for the purpose of the post "solid shot" means a spherical lead ball of aprox .490"

Hi

From your last post you seem unsure as to exactly what was said to you by the Firearms Licensing Department. Quote 'they said single ball or something like that'

This leads me to believe that you do not have it in writing. 'Something like that' recalled from memory months or years down the line will not cut it in a court of law !

'Someone' in the Firearms Licensing Department who 'said' you could do something (which even you are not sure what precisely) is worthless if someone else at a later stage decides you most certainly cannot and decides to prosecute you.

I speak from experience , so please:

GET IT IN WRITING

fair enough, but i think you are mis-construing my post to interpret a level of uncertainty as to what i was told, "something like that" was a throw away phrase- the exact wording i cant remember as i was rushing around while talking to them, but the final meaning is the same- single shot. 1 ball.
    i am 100% sure as ive heard from several sources now that smooth bore muskets are section 2 when used with single ball- i appretiate that advise given is sometimes wrong, and you are motivated to question because you have been bitten in the past, and i will try to get confirmation in writing-but I know and believe what i have been told.
    that said it is common sense to try to get it in writing.

My take is you need a minimum number of shot (6 I think) and no shot can be over .36 cal - rifled slugs are section 1 regardless of the gun ... read this in some home office doc in the past when i had a Winchester 9410 and thought slugs might be fun ... bought a .357mag version instead!

Corrie

DaveP Guest
    Recent post on MLAGB
    http://www.mlagb.com/cgi/yabb/YaBB.p...num=1180682940
    IMHO Bill Curtis knows his stuff!

Solid Shot In Smooth Bore

I seem to remember single ball in smooth bore section 2 is fine and legal but only on an approved range. Anywhere else would be decidedly dodgy. Check with the MLAGB.

I too today had it confirmed by Wiltshire Firearms dept, that the section 1 solid shot law only applies to cartridges (as in the shot, powder and primer are encased in one unit) and there is no legal restriction to firing ball from a smoothbore gun as long as it is over 24".

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrodex View Post
    also on short siberia range at bisley.. upto 200 yards- which will be a giggle..
    ive got to make a mold for rifled slugs now..
    Please let us know when you intend to shoot slug out of a smooth bore at Short Siberia 200yds so the 100yds firing points can take cover. It gets some people worried on the 100 yd area when rifled barrels are going off behind them.

Steve