Thread: lead for sale

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've just tipped a few of those into the mixture to see. I think they're quite soft if not actually pure lead, so might be worth a poke?
    Yes but apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, what did you think of the performance?

Yep, luverly and soft.

Hows that casting going MM?
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Thumbs up

Oh good thanks SC! I made about 170 rounds over a couple of days, blasting about 2/3 of them off over two sessions. And a nice loud roar they made too - 200gr so a bit more pressure I guess. Put 24gr BP behind them.

Still not hitting very accurately, but I've only recently stopped being "scared" of the ignition. I've noticed when a cap fails that I'm flinching quite a bit, so working on that bit by bit.

But the lead casting is great fun. I clean up the raw sheeting I bought and make ingots for subsequent melting into bullets. All made possible (and safe) with tips and info gleaned on here.
    Yes but apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, what did you think of the performance?

A tip regarding accuracy. The ball wants to be as high as possible in the cylinder either by using filler or wads.
    There is then less distance between the start of motion and entry into the cone and rifling to start the spin.

Similar to reloading cartridges to a set length so the slug will almost touch the rifling.

I had a job getting my head around this. I thought that if the ball was lower in the cylinder it would be proppelled by more of the bang till it jumped the gap and the rest of the bang would be wasted through the gap. That is as may be but less bang behind the ball is not a problem. Setting the ball up for an acurate path is more important.

The registration between the cone and the cylinder seems the most critical for accuracy. Some m/l revolvers are sold as "target grade" these seem selected for better registration rather than anything else.

Have a real close look at the cone after you have fired a few shots while its still dirty. You should get some indication of how the ball enters it.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane