Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lead for sale

greenshoots don't you know anyone in the building trade?

"casualy" mention that you need some lead whilst at your club (often). If you are into reloading ask if you can have some out of the butts, it's too hard for m/l though.

Any demolition going on near you? go and ask if they have any.

It took about four weeks after I put the feelers out before I got some. I now have a glut. Someone knocked at my door today and handed about 10lbs over, I now have about a hundredweight uncast and 400 cast slugs. Its coming in faster than I could use it.

Port Talbot, is there no boat people around? They use a lot for weights and ballast. Go and strike up a conversation.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Quote Originally Posted by greenshoots View Post
    cheapest i found at moment is £2.50 per pound??????????

viv
    26kg for £26 at local metal merchant. Not (yet) into reloading, so exchanged a large bag of brass and only had to chip in £15. That might be one way to go. The price seemed to be dipping when I went.
    Yes but apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, what did you think of the performance?

try

Try this wb addy http://www.lowden-metals.co.uk/lowmelting/Lead.html
    I use old pipes but its getting harder to find them now so I have been looking for a more reliable source
    Glyn
    Tie two birds together and though they have 4 wings they cannot fly.......But great for an easy shot
    .20 Daystate Harrier SE
    .22 rimfire a 525 semi auto (for those rats that dont go down)
    .454 Rogers and spencer black powder revolver
    .577 parker hale two band enfield rifle
    .577 parker hale three band enfield rifle
    410 over+under investarm shotgun
    9mm converted 303 lee enfield
    9mm stevens garden gun
    .45 colt walker revolver
    .and a few more.

greenshoots Guest
    thanx for the info guys keep it coming

viv

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemann View Post
    Been accumulating as much lead as I can before the EU decides to meddle. For a taster of what may come, please see this letter:

http://www.pistolskytte.org/info/Swe...mmunition.html

Incidentally, the Swedish Chemical Agency and Environment Agency are the ones behind this move and they are pushing to make it EU-wide.

I guess the Swedish Government has been forced to intervene because of all the thousands of people and animals and birds which have been poisoned by all the spent lead pistol bullets lying around
    Don't tell Gordon Brown or it will become the next totally stupid law to reach the statute books here

The World has gone MAD

Last one to leave please switch off the light

lakey

Acid House is offline Rivi's very own Shrek (and Coronation Street fan).
    can you use air gun pellets (used) off an indoor range?

I know our club has buckets of them.
    Enlightenment is only a click away http://www.rivington-riflemen.org
    If a man talks in the woods and nobody hears him, is he still wrong?

I've just tipped a few of those into the mixture to see. I think they're quite soft if not actually pure lead, so might be worth a poke?

Yep, luverly and soft.

Hows that casting going MM?
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Thumbs up

Oh good thanks SC! I made about 170 rounds over a couple of days, blasting about 2/3 of them off over two sessions. And a nice loud roar they made too - 200gr so a bit more pressure I guess. Put 24gr BP behind them.

Still not hitting very accurately, but I've only recently stopped being "scared" of the ignition. I've noticed when a cap fails that I'm flinching quite a bit, so working on that bit by bit.

But the lead casting is great fun. I clean up the raw sheeting I bought and make ingots for subsequent melting into bullets. All made possible (and safe) with tips and info gleaned on here.

A tip regarding accuracy. The ball wants to be as high as possible in the cylinder either by using filler or wads.
    There is then less distance between the start of motion and entry into the cone and rifling to start the spin.

Similar to reloading cartridges to a set length so the slug will almost touch the rifling.

I had a job getting my head around this. I thought that if the ball was lower in the cylinder it would be proppelled by more of the bang till it jumped the gap and the rest of the bang would be wasted through the gap. That is as may be but less bang behind the ball is not a problem. Setting the ball up for an acurate path is more important.

The registration between the cone and the cylinder seems the most critical for accuracy. Some m/l revolvers are sold as "target grade" these seem selected for better registration rather than anything else.

Have a real close look at the cone after you have fired a few shots while its still dirty. You should get some indication of how the ball enters it.

bernie.g Guest
    check out usa always plenty of quality lead for sale also sabots, bullet moulds, all b.p reloading at give away prices.

bernie

Hi bernie and welcome to the forum. (folks on here like a bit of profile filled in my friend)

Trouble with buying lead is its heavy stuff so the cost of mailing it puts the price up above what it would cost to buy ready cast balls.