Thread: Anschutz 1417 .22LR

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cleaning 1417

Pal of mine has the Anschutz 1517 in .17HMR too. Not sure if I want two guns the same yet, although his .17 is amazing.

Have gone ahead and ordered a bore guide, and garnered what cleaning advice I can from Anschutz themselves. That's still in the post apparently.

I can just about get the bolt out of my 1417 OK by rotating it at the part where it comes into two halves. But the same friend above can't get the bolt out of his .22 as the comb is in the way. Is there often this much variation in the stock build of these weapons?

cos.mos Guest

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemann
    Pal of mine has the Anschutz 1517 in .17HMR too. Not sure if I want two guns the same yet, although his .17 is amazing.

Have gone ahead and ordered a bore guide, and garnered what cleaning advice I can from Anschutz themselves. That's still in the post apparently.

I can just about get the bolt out of my 1417 OK by rotating it at the part where it comes into two halves. But the same friend above can't get the bolt out of his .22 as the comb is in the way. Is there often this much variation in the stock build of these weapons?
    I have both the .22lr 1417 and the .17hmr 1517. I bought the .17 after using the 1417 for a couple of years. Both are great guns and I find them very accurate off a harris bipod. Any rabbits up to 100 yards are certain kills in virtually all conditions and 125 yards in good conditions using eley hollow extra plus. The .17 takes over from where the .22 finishes really, and any rabbits 100 - 150 yards (125 zero) are certain in almost all conditions, longest 200 yards in very good conditions.

The ten shot mags can be a little tricky with the first round out but are fine on the rest - yes the bolt is a bugger until I got used to checking with my thumb after releasing the safety each time - no problems since. The safety s a hard to push awkward location carbuncle and should be sorted but I guss the German's are not going to bother with that.

The short barrels on both the 1417 and 1517 don't offer any problems and the guns handle the same, in fact if you own a 1417 and are thinking of a .17 then you should really consider the 1517 on the grounds that it has the same balance and once you know how to shoot one accurately the other will come straight away too.

Interestingly, the 1417 is a hand chequered stock and the 1517 a laser chequered stock I think - both are the sporter style. Both have that rather thick but well applied varnish which as they age gets a shine where it is handled - I will oil mine when they get tatty (strio firsy of course) as I believe that the wood underneath is not bad and will get better when hand rubbed.

I believe that anyone who buys a 1417 or a 1517 will not be disappointed provided that they study their technique. I think that there are cheaper guns out there that shoot as well given some careful fettling and perhaps a few more quid, but the 1417 and 1517 are very competant and complete packages.

cos.mos
    Last edited by cos.mos; 24-05-2006 at 06:16 PM.