Thread: Diana Model 1

Diana Model 1

I have aquired a Diana Mod 1 (1924 to probably 1938), the tin plate job with the piston in the grip.

The cocking tool is not original, there is no actual rust but the original finish has been worn with handling (patina) and a couple of screw heads show minor usage. It works fine.

Anyone any idea of the value please???????????????
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

Hi mate I recently aquired a model one Diana as I wanted it for old time sake. One of the guys on here saw it in J Nibbs & I rang up & bought it. It is boxed with its metal target holder/darts & plastic pellets for indoor use the kit is called Home Shooting Gallery,it has been used but it is very nice, bluing intact & no rust. I was told probably dates around the early 1950s. I paid £115 for it inc post. Its like anything else condition & how desirable is it & how rare will up the price. I did not buy mine for a profit & I would think if I sold it on here would make a loss but I never bought it for profit.
    I Keep Hitting The Escape Button But I Am Still Here.

Not sure we are talking about the same gun, the Model 1 Diana was never made in the UK ie after WW2, production stopped sometime in the 1930's. This thing has a piston in the grip that is pulled down by a seperate tool, then the barrel is tilted to load the pellet. Rifled barrel in 4.5mm manufactured by Mayer & Grammelspacher???? Page 52 of Heller's Air Pistols, third edition?
    Last edited by lodmoor; 18-06-2007 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
    lodmoor

Quote Originally Posted by lodmoor View Post
    Not sure we are talking about the same gun, the Model 1 Diana was never made in the UK ie after WW2, production stopped sometime in the 1930's. This thing has a piston in the grip that is pulled down by a seperate tool, then the barrel is tilted to load the pellet. Rifled barrel in 4.5mm manufactured by Mayer & Grammelspacher???? Page 52 of Heller's Air Pistols, third edition?
    Mine is a Diana model 1 rifle so sounds to be something different, its tin plate but does not sound the same. Sure someone more knowledgable than me will be able to help you.
    I Keep Hitting The Escape Button But I Am Still Here.

Lodmoors is the pistol, and Seekays is the rifle

All gets a bit confusing sometimes

The blue book (fourth Edition) suggests a price of up to $200 for the Diana Model 1 Airpistol.
    So, I guess that would make a good one around the 120-130 quid mark.

The one to have is the MGR first model airpistol (MGR standing for Mayer und Grammelspacher in Rastatt) which are the makers of the Diana Brand.
    This one was made in the period 1892-1905 and was nickle plated cast iron. That one has a blue book value of up to $1000 for a good one , so around 600 pounds sterling I guess.

Never really got into airpistols - would probably mean divorce if I did

Lakey

Don't know about the desirability of pre-WWII German airguns in the UK, but in the US a pretty nice example would likely fetch $125 or so. Maybe a "100% example", if such exists, could reach $200 per the Blue Book.

Quote Originally Posted by draitzer View Post
    Don't know about the desirability of pre-WWII German airguns in the UK, but in the US a pretty nice example would likely fetch $125 or so. Maybe a "100% example", if such exists, could reach $200 per the Blue Book.
    Can't see the relevence of the country of manufacture to a collector, surely it is the rarity of the gun and its age? Also all the British Diana'a (after WWII) were made with the German machinery 'confiscated' after the war hence the emergence of 'Original'.
    $200 equates to about £100 which seems low for a rather rare gun.
    lodmoor

Quote Originally Posted by lodmoor View Post
    Can't see the relevence of the country of manufacture to a collector, surely it is the rarity of the gun and its age? Also all the British Diana'a (after WWII) were made with the German machinery 'confiscated' after the war hence the emergence of 'Original'.
    $200 equates to about £100 which seems low for a rather rare gun.

The problem with the Blue Book is that all the prices are in dollars, and I feel that a lot of the european guns are very undervalued. It is as if American collectors don't understand or appreciate the rarety of some of these guns. Also to make comparisons between the dollar price and the pound sterling price is always difficult at the best of times.

The conclusion I have reached is that the Blue Book prices are an idea of what the American market price level is for a given gun. I don't feel that they are particularly relavent to the UK market.

At the end of the day, a gun is worth as much as you are prepared to pay for it on the day. No more,No less. Also that value will go up or down depending on how badly you want it for your collection.

Finally, there seems to be collectors of Diana's that only do German pre-war stuff, then there are collectors of British Diana's only. I don't know many that collect both the German and British ones?? Is that how it is for most people or is it only me

Lakey

I collect anything that is old regardless of country or manufacturer though I must admit to concentrating on Webleys. 81 pistols, 31 of which are Webley, um, well 29 of them are if you exclude the new (MK2?) Typhoon and the Gnat.
    As I intend to sell 2 duplicates in the not too distant (including the Diana mod 1 pistol this thread is about) you can say I have 79 plus 3 Webley pistol scopes.
    Having got off of the subject slightly, we seem to agreed that price is down to rarity, condition and the desire to own - watch this space.
    Last edited by lodmoor; 21-06-2007 at 04:29 PM. Reason: spelling
    lodmoor