Thread: Webley Junior Air Pistol

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    gregw Guest

Webley Junior Air Pistol

I just recently received a Webley Junior .177 air pistol from my grand father. I would like to know the date of it and possibly a price range. There's two numbers on it. One on the left side of the gun between the trigger and the grip it says J21770 and on the front of the gun it says 770. I have googled a lot and have found similar guns but with different types of grips. Does anyone know anything about this gun?

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by gregw View Post
    I just recently received a Webley Junior .177 air pistol from my grand father. I would like to know the date of it and possibly a price range. There's two numbers on it. One on the left side of the gun between the trigger and the grip it says J21770 and on the front of the gun it says 770. I have googled a lot and have found similar guns but with different types of grips. Does anyone know anything about this gun?
    BBS member Brody had a similar set of questions about his Junior too, so I've copied a link below to his thread as this should help answer your questions (just click on it ). ATB: Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

gregw Guest
    Ok, so it is a pre-war gun. How come I cannot find anything about this gun though. I've searched google a lot and there are some similar pistols but none with the same grip. They all have different handles.

Quote Originally Posted by gregw View Post
    Ok, so it is a pre-war gun. How come I cannot find anything about this gun though. I've searched google a lot and there are some similar pistols but none with the same grip. They all have different handles.
    Don't mention it -- oh, you didn't . Sorry, but it's not your God given right to expect instant information on here mate, and three little words Please and thank you will go a long way. I see you are new to the BBS so will put it down to inexperience, but folk on here have a whole host of information built-up over years of collecting etc, that they are always only too happy to share. But I believe I speak for all when I say a little civility will go a long way! Many folk on the BBS also like to know a bit about the people they are giving information to, so it may also be a good idea for you to fill-in your user profile for this purpose, especially if you ever wish to buy or sell on here, as to do that adequate profile information is a forum requirement . Post a photo of your pistol hereabouts, or give as good a description of the grips as you can (wood, tin, bakelite, plastic), and I'm sure that one of the oracles such as Pat.. or Troubledshooter will happen along at some point this evening, and if any on here can help it's them: GWB.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Spot on there Gareth buddy. I think new members don't always realise that a reply typed briefly like that comes across as curt and ungrateful, even if that wasn't how it was meant. Best always to make sure that courtesy in posts is 'in yer face' (though of course not 'over the top' smarmy either).
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Spot on there Gareth buddy. I think new members don't always realise that a reply typed briefly like that comes across as curt and ungrateful, even if that wasn't how it was meant. Best always to make sure that courtesy in posts is 'in yer face' (though of course not 'over the top' smarmy either).
    Hi matey, yeah, that's my take on it too -- written in haste without meaning to appear rude but appearing so nonetheless -- and coming across as curt by default. Best nipped in the bud though, as I'm sure he meant nothing buy it so best straightened out early on .

gregw Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat.. View Post
    Tin plate junior - should have fixed rear sight, patent ref. on LHS of cylinder and the shorter barrel, date of manufacture 1936/7.
    actually this one has the longer barrell. I'm assuming it's the longer one since it's sticks out farther than the bigger cylinder thing. I'm going to try and get pictures as soon as i can.

EDIT: Here are some pictures, but they are kind of big.

Also have these pellets that came with the gun.

Last edited by gregw; 24-06-2007 at 08:13 PM.

gregw Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat.. View Post
    And the early pellet tin - back when Webley only produced the one rifle
    Thanks for your help so far guys. Just got a few more questions. So is this air pistol the one you said above with the tin plate, fixed rear sight, short barrell or is this long barrell? Also would you be able to tell me a price range for the gun and tin(the tin has the pellets still in it)? Please and thanks guys.