Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Visit to the Birmingham Proof House (PICS ADDED)

How had you heard about the Whiting, Elanmac? I have massive respect for anyone that can 'make' and airpistol by the way!

Hi Rob M
    In the eighties in Guns Review a contributor did a series of patent articles with patent numbers and a short description of the airgun. At that time if you went to Birmingham City Library you could go through the catalogues of patents. If you wanted a particular patent you asked for the Year in question and would be given a book about sixinches thick to look through. You could then ask for full patent and take a photocopy. One of the patents shown was the Whiting. Another was an air rifle made by a A.W.Baker in the article it was said that no known examples existed, a couple of years later I bought an unknown rifle at auction, John Atkin identified it as the Baker from the patent article. If you interested I can post photos of the Whiting and/or the Baker.
    Elanmac

Quote Originally Posted by elanmac View Post
    If you interested I can post photos of the Whiting and/or the Baker.
    Elanmac
    Please post pics of both! I know many of us would be interested to see them.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I'd love to see them too! Cheers!

Hi
    I have attached two photos. The Whiting one shows the original alongside the one I made before I blued it. Sorry the photo is not very clear I need to get my original slides scanned. I would be interested to know if there are any more Baker air rifles about.
    elanmac
    Last edited by elanmac; 26-01-2008 at 04:07 PM.

Thanks, that Whiting of yours is superb! Just out of interest, how much is something like that worth? Is it even possible to put a price on it?

Fantastic work!

Very impressive! Thanks for posting the pics.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hi, Here is the finished Whiting.I will try in the next few weeks to crono it.
    as for the price its anyones guess. I have never sold any of the guns I have made, I have always given them away to fellow collectors. One of my so called friends sold a Swing handle BSA pistol that I made for him for £200 about 10 years ago. If he given it away I wouldn't have minded.

Superb. What's a 'Swing Handle BSA'? Any chance of a pic of that? Have you ever been comissioned to make a pistol for somebody?

Here is the BSA swing handle pistol. About the size of a Scorpion but with much less power. To cock it and load you press the button on left hand grip swing grip/handle to the rear, this enables a flat spring inside to engage with the piston. The handle is then swung through about 150 degrees to pull the piston back,this also brings the loading tap into view. Returning the handle to its original position and after loading a pellet the pistol is ready to fire. Could never have gone into production as it is too complicated. If you swing the handle forward before swinging it back the spring inside jams or crumples rendering the gun useless.
    elanmac

Sorry Rob, I didn't reply to to your query, no I have never made any guns other than for pleasure. In the past I have made various parts usualy in exchange something for my collection. For eg. the gears etc for a Parker crank wound pistol I was given a Hakim air rifle. For the last 7 or 8 years I haven't made any thing at all.
    elanmac

Talking Major Discovery.

Happy New Year to You All.