Thread: adams canter

bm6001 Guest

adams canter

Hi Guys
    I have A percussion cap pistol makers names are Adams Canter its in oridgnal box all in very good condtion could anyone who knows about these lovely guns tell me anything about it

Lost me, is it a revolver by any chance?

Robert Adams was well known for his early percussion revolver.

Could Canter be Tranter perhaps rubbed out?

Tranter made over 8000 revolvers to the Adams 1851 patent design.
    Last edited by Smokeless Coal; 28-06-2007 at 08:39 PM.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

bm6001 Guest
    Yep you are dead on the mark . It is a tranter revolver. do you have any more info on it . what cal. would it be safe to shoot

They were made in various calibers it might even be engraved on the barrel.

This might be good reading.

http://www.oldguns.co.uk/william_tranter.html

As for firing it, I wouldn't. It's a valuable antique. Depending on it's condition and model it could easily be worth up to £2000. If it's in poor condition and a common model it would still be over £150 worth. You say it's in good condition so even a common one you are looking at £350ish.

You would have to have a firearm certificate to fire it. Just keep it and enjoy it for what it is.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane