Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post
If I have an FAC rated air rifle and I want it Bowketted can I use royal mail or another courier to send it (with appropriate insurance).

Or does it have to through an RFD and their special couriers. This could add quite a bit to an FAC tune.

And what happens to my FAC if it goes missing and never comes back?
John Bowkett is an RFD so you could send it to him directly, using an approved carrier - Parcelforce are the easiest, has to be their 24 hour service.
He can't send it back to you directly though, it'll have to go to your nearest RFD for you to pick up in person. It's all a bit of a pain really.

If it goes missing in transit then it's ultimately the couriers problem, although you would be advised to contact your licensing authority ASAP if anything goes wrong.
Parcelforce are a bit notorious for 'losing' stuff, but they do tend to sit up and take notice when a firearm is involved. I remember one time a customers rifle hadn't been delivered to me and I phoned the depot to ask where it was. I got told " it's been delivered and signed for, nowt to do with us " - which was a blatant lie because the driver for my area knows me and is a good honest bloke.
I explained this to the ignorant mong on the end of the phone and told him that the next person he would be discussing the matter with would be an armed policeman investigating the theft of a Section 1 firearm. About 2 minutes later they miraculously 'found' the parcel with the rifle in it. Baz has a similar tale, wouldn't surprise me if there were others.