Thread: storage advice for collectables please

storage advice for collectables please

Hiya all,
    i've got 4 webley pistols, 3 of which are boxed and still with the plastic bag they came in. as i dont have a nice cabinet to put them in i was wondering what is the best way of storing them to keep them free from rust etc? at the moment they are all in a cardboard box with a napier vapour sachet. i could do with finding somewhere more appropriate for them. also would lightly covering them with oil and putting them in the plastic bags and then the boxes they came in, cause rust etc?
    thanks in advance.
    Dave

surely someone can advise me on this please?

Smile Storage

Hello ,

An oily rag , a squirt of WD** something or other , and wrap the boxed stuff in grease proof type paper to protect the cardboard box.
    Show them the light of day regularly so they can "breathe" , that way you should keep condensation and mildew away - try using silca-gel bags.

Thats all I do .

Nick

i'd use a light machine oil to prevent rust,wd40 is not that good for rust prevention as it evaporates.

I use Balistol to protect my collection and its never suffered from rust. Its also good for keeping leather (slings, piston heads etc.) supple.

HTH
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 05-07-2007 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Thanks Garvin !
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

thanks

thanks lads. i like the grease proof paper idea to protect the boxes. also, where can i get some of that 'balistol' from please?

Dave

I usually wrap Webley pistols in a piece of cotton sheet with a few drops of 3 in 1 oil on, then put that inside a plastic bag, and the whole lot back in it's box.

At some of the militaria fairs you can find small plastic bottles of US Military issue gun oil - it's a superb lube but in a large test came out virtually top of all the various lubes/moisture dispersants (WD40 etc) for prevention of rust. Silica gel is good but you need decent sized packs and well sealed bags. Another idea is that special treated brown paper that is used to wrap tools/machine parts etc. Cannot remember it's name but you can buy sheets of it - try the 'bay and Google. Also good old silicone oil too - that's what I use, just rub it all over the gun and store away from the original bag/box to avoid staining.
    Max; looking for: Baikal IZH 61 side lever rifle

It all depends on the level of humidity around.
    The less there is the better. Avoid places that have extreemes of temperatures, humidity,(bathrooms,bedrooms,kitchens, outhouses).
    A wipe with an oily rag is good and I would not put it in a cardboard box, they are like sponges when it comes to picking up and storing humidity.
    A cotton cloth with a good dose( not dripping) of clean engine oil to wrap the gun in and then placed inside a plastic zip lock bag should keep the rust at bay.