Thread: Walther LGR seals

Walther LGR seals

Hi. Can anybody out there tell me where to by new seals for a Walther LGR.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

To those who so kindly replied, thankyou very much your advise is greatly welcome.
    I now have the rifle with me and I now have to decide whether to make an offer for it
    When I operate the cocking lever slowly....nothing. If I operate it briskly then air comes out of the barrel or compresses if I block the end. Otherwise the gun is in lovely condition
    Last edited by norm; 07-07-2007 at 05:51 PM.

Check the maccari site, If the one inch one will fit (adjustable) I can send you one, I got 2 for my LG51.
    http://www.airguns.citymax.com/catal...485/834669.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbet View Post
    Check the maccari site, If the one inch one will fit (adjustable) I can send you one, I got 2 for my LG51.
    http://www.airguns.citymax.com/catal...485/834669.htm
    Nice offer but I don't think so. The LG51 is a 1950s springer and the LGR is a single stroke pneumatic first produced in 1975.

Some seals for the LGR can be bought from John Groenwald in the US at http://jgairguns.biz/catalog/

Edit: the LGR's main cylinder piston seal has been remanufactured by Beeman Australia. Contact Lewis at www.beeman.com.au
    Last edited by Garvin; 05-07-2007 at 08:06 AM. Reason: more info
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Walther LGR

I have overhauled a couple of LGR's (many years ago)
    If the piston seal is leaking which is usually the problem, then from what I remember you have to buy a new piston as the seal is factory fitted
    I think I paid about £60 for the replacement(probably£80 now)
    Cock the gun with no pellet, close the breech and immerse muzzle an inch or so into a cup of water. If it bubbles then the exhaust valve is the problem and this is an easier and cheaper repair. However if the valve is not leaking and the rifle will not hold pressure then it is most likely the piston seal that is passing air.
    Try Surrey Guns for spares(can be expensive), if no joy then contact the NSRA shop at Lord Roberts House and they may know a source

Also Lawrie Amatruda is a good contact, he repairs the older Walther LP2 and LP3 pistols and is probably the top man for pneumatic match airgun repairs. I have dealt with him (he repaired my LP3)and would recommend his services

pm me if you need his contact info
    I think he is on the BBS but I don't know his username
    Good luck
    John
    hold me back !!

Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post
    I have overhauled a couple of LGR's (many years ago)
    If the piston seal is leaking which is usually the problem, then from what I remember you have to buy a new piston as the seal is factory fitted
    I think I paid about £60 for the replacement(probably£80 now)
    John you're the expert since you've actually taken an LGR apart but the piston seals sold by Beeman Australia look like a push fit to me. Here's a pic of one. They are quite cheap and easy to buy with a credit card via email. Apparently LGR tubes came in two very slightly different sizes so it's best to buy the larger seal and sand it down if necessary.

If anyone does find a source of LGR parts in the UK can they please post their findings?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

walther LGR

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    John you're the expert since you've actually taken an LGR apart but the piston seals sold by Beeman Australia look like a push fit to me. Here's a pic of one. They are quite cheap and easy to buy with a credit card via email. Apparently LGR tubes came in two very slightly different sizes so it's best to buy the larger seal and sand it down if necessary.

If anyone does find a source of LGR parts in the UK can they please post their findings?
    Hi Garvin
    That seal does look like a push on fit.(or perhaps it is also meant to be bonded/glued to the piston)
    On the 2 LGR's Walther's that I stripped, the seal was factory bonded onto the piston (as in some Walther LP2/LP3's, and the Walther LGV's) I am pretty sure that I got one from Accuracy International and the other from the NSRA and as I say they were expensive replacements
    The Walther LGV (spring gun)is a good compromise as it uses a nylon head bonded to a steel backing disc that slots onto a stud on the end of the piston. It can be replaced quickly and cheaply

Neither of the above suppliers would supply the seal separate as they advised me that they were bonded on in the factory But It is quite possible that some LGR's had a push on seal and this should will be a lot cheaper

Norm
    The LGR is not a difficult gun to strip
    Surrey Guns telephone number is 02086477742. Give him a call and I am sure he may well have the parts in stock. Don't forget to check out the knock open valve.I have a feeling that a replacement valve/spring/seal was about £18
    He provides a repair service but he certainly charges for it so if you feel you can do the job yourself then do so
    There was also a gun stockist in the Midlands who kept spares for target guns but I do not know if he is still dealing as I have not heard his name mentioned for some time -- Frank Spittle
    City Air Weapons in Birmingham may also be able to help as he keeps Match rifle/pistol spares
    Don't forget Lawrie Amatruda, Lawrie will make seals if he does not have them

John
    hold me back !!

LGR pics

A couple of large and detailed pics of the LGR innards. I can't be sure how long they'll be hosted so please save to hard drives for future reference.

Trigger and piston

Compression chamber and exhaust valve
    Last edited by Garvin; 05-07-2007 at 02:30 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery