Thread: B.S.A. Meteor and plastic scope.

B.S.A. Meteor and plastic scope.

Gentleman.

I have the chance to purchase an old B.S.A. Meteor .22 air rifle. The rifle itself is in good working order but is missing the rear sight and one forend screw. It looks like the old style Meteor but lacks the fluting on the stock. Serial number N4623. It has been well used but shoots well.
    It is fitted with one of those old B.S.A. plastic (yuk) telescopic sights. The sight is in good nic, complete and working. When I was a lad in London these sights I seem to remember sold for 42 shillings. It has that horrible moving reticule. Being cheap and plastic can I assume that their life span was limited and that good ones are not very common now?
    I bought one back then and it put me off telescopic sights for a long time. Mine only survived a few field trips. No one can argue that this is a practical bit of kit.
    I’d like to know that if I buy this rifle what would be my chances of getting an original rear sight. I assume it was metal?
    How old is this rifle?
    Is it worth buying for the scope alone? As a collectors item?
    Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Barry (New Zealand).

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    That sounds like a Mk 2 Meteor. The early Mk 1 has the scope ramp which comprises four grooves cut in the cylinder as well as the fluting I think. Anyway, Meteors were made in vast numbers and there are alot floating around in various states of repair. They are very well designed, simple rifles and they have a big following. The plastic BSA scopes are indeed cheap and nasty but interesting period pieces.

If it was on sale in the UK, I think it would sell for about £50 at most. I am not sure what that is in cowries or kiwi dollars. If you put an advert in the Wanted section you will be able to source a rearsight fairly easily. One of the BBS members, gedfinn2, has a large collection of Meteor spares and he may be able to help with the rearsight. Chambers and also John Knibbs can also supply spares for this rifle if you want new parts.

Sounds like you should buy it but don't pay too much for it.

Thanks for the advice. Unless I can get this one real cheap I think I’ll hang out for a MKI. I may make the owner an offer on the scope and keep it for display only.