Thread: Weihrauch HW70

Weihrauch HW70

I see from a search on this site that many of you who contribute to the collectors page have one of these fine pistols. I've just bought one new and have only fired 20 shots thru it, but I am already impressed. One thing I noticed was the variation in advertised velocity for this pistol anything from 300 (Hillers book) to 440fps (Beeman). What are your experiences and does anyone have stripping instructions for this little gem, mine like others I've read about is a little dry in the lube stakes. I 've already seen the diagram on the Chambers site but instructions would be useful the Weihrauch leaflet being very basic.

Hw70

These are great little pistols
    Unfortunately they don't have classic lines to them like some other recoiling pistols (LP53 and Tempest) but the HW70 more than matches these others with its accuracy

I bought mine (in mint condition) but when I tried it, it was shooting very low.
    I chronographed it at about 300 ft/sec with 7 grain RWS R10 wadcutter pellets. I put a couple of drops of Web Oil in the chamber, (not through the transfer port), this transformed the gun and after half a dozen shots it was a consistent 420-430 ft/sec. It gave very good groups at 10 metres but still shot a bit low, even with the back sight fully up. So I filed about 2 mm off the top of the foresight post and the problem was fixed

This pistol is really under-rated and I have now checked it out at 20 yards on the NSRA PL15 targets. It will match any other spring powed pistol that I have tried at this distance and is well worth the money
    hold me back !!

Hw70

That is good, as you know I've been looking for reasonable pistol for informal back garden target stuff for weeks. I just wasn't happy about the feel of an Original 6 and the Walther's that I really like were all just too much cash so the HW70 seemed ideal. You must have stripped it to oil the cylinder. Does the trigger mech have to come off or can you just unscrew the cylinder end plug? I've no chrono but mine is comparable to the various Webleys I have (some available for sale shortly)

hw70

To lubricate the pistol:

Remove the 4 screws that hold the action into the stock
    Unscrew the 2 small socket heads that pass through the safety catch (assuming yours is the model with the safety catch)
    Take the action out of the plastic stock
    Turn it upside down and you can then see the spring and tail of the piston
    Drop 2/3 drops of oil (I used Weboil) onto the spring . If you do not have a long nosed applicator then let the oil run down a small screw driver onto the visible coils of the spring.
    Re-lubricating mine certainly upped the velocity. Roger (Serowman) also has one of these pistols. I chronographed his at just under 400 ft/sec so I assume 390 - 430 ft/sec is the norm.
    Use 7 grain R10 pellets (wadcutters). The pistol is very accurate with these light weight pistol pellets

John
    hold me back !!

Hw70

Thanks for that, at least I dont have to strip it fully to do that. Mine is very dry and does like yours shoot low. There is not much elevation left on the rearsight at 6m (may have to mod the foresight), touch of the old Weihrauch barrel droop. I'll get the moly and SM50 out tonight.