Thread: Webley Service mk2

Webley Service mk2

Interested in your thoughts...

How important do you think it is to have matching serial numbers on the barrel and rifle?

Just thinking because I saw a fairly decent example for sale recently but its barrel was a mis-match (although it was a genuine 'Service' barrel)

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by njaw View Post
    Interested in your thoughts...

How important do you think it is to have matching serial numbers on the barrel and rifle?

Just thinking because I saw a fairly decent example for sale recently but its barrel was a mis-match (although it was a genuine 'Service' barrel)

Nick
    Matched numbers are important to collectors because you know that what you are getting is 'as it left the factory', at least in terms of the two main numbered components. I would guess mismatched numbers translates to a drop in value of 10% or 20% for this reason.

If you just want to own an example of the Service and especially if you plan to use it rather than display it then having different serials means very little. Just my thoughts.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Matched numbers are important to collectors because you know that what you are getting is 'as it left the factory', at least in terms of the two main numbered components. I would guess mismatched numbers translates to a drop in value of 10% or 20% for this reason.

If you just want to own an example of the Service and especially if you plan to use it rather than display it then having different serials means very little. Just my thoughts.
    ... Yep, Danny (Garvin) took the words right out of my mouth, so ditto for me too : Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

cheers chaps

that's what I thought but thought I'd see what the general feeling are about such things.

Buy it anyway I would

Webley Service barrels are sometimes found without any serial numbers.
    If these are genuine 'Webley' barrels, they have usually been ordered as spares from the factory by retailers, and supplied to customers as and when required.
    Barrels ordered for a specific rifle could be marked at the factory with the appropriate serial number, and often were.
    When Service rifles are offered with three barrels, it is not uncommon to find differently numbered barrels in the set.
    The cased example in my sig. site has similarly numbered barrels.