Thread: What's a good group size for a M/L revolver?

Question What's a good group size for a M/L revolver?

I'm using an open top colt .36 with a short barrel so the odds are against me! The best I've achieved is around 3" at 25m. Also how do you grip your pistols?
    Daz

3" at 25 yards with that pistol is superb! In fact, with any M/L revolver with basic sights it is very good indeed.

I shoot a Ruger with a 7.5" barrel with proper sights and the best I can manage (only once!) is a 4" group of 12 shots

as for the best hold, I've found a slightly loose grip to take up the recoil seems to work best. Gripping it like was of fivers in a high wind seems to pull pull it left or right.

regards

saggs

Hmmm, good question. Nowadays my old eyes only let me get 3" groups with any gun over iron sights at 25m, I know my limitations and accept that. I have done 5" with my revolver a few times so for me it has to be the pistol or its load that is not letting me pull it in tighter.

I have seen reports of people shooting clover leafs with them, but till I see it with my own eyes........

Try another gun, perhaps an underlever gallery rifle, with iron sights. Work out how good a shot you are, then compare how you are doing with your revolver.
    If you can do 3" with another gun over iron then 3" with your m/l means you have got it right.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Yep, for an open topped Colt very good, I can get similar grouping myself, but only on a good day - wish I could do it all the time. Like You Sheriff short barrelled version mines a .36 61 just feels right in the hand.

lucky to keep it on a A4 sheet of paper most of the time, if I got a group of 3" I'd faint. Never seen anyone in our culb shoot a group that small with a M/L revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by moonraker View Post
    lucky to keep it on a A4 sheet of paper most of the time, if I got a group of 3" I'd faint. Never seen anyone in our culb shoot a group that small with a M/L revolver.
    It can be done, honest. Two most important factors (I reckon):-

1. Get the load right - powder charge, filler and ball size. My .44 shoots all over the place with .451 balls for example. 454's lubed with liquid Alox make a world of difference.

2. Get your grip right. If you're right handed, left hand takes weight of gun, right hand is just there to help point it in the right direction and squeeze the trigger. As has already been said, don't grip too tight - there's no need.