Thread: Leupold competition 40 x 45

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I have a 40x45 on order with a fine duplex ret, so it should rule out any issues the target crosshairs/ target dot etc had. Everything is in place to bolt it straight onto the steyr burris zee rings, weaver rail, sidewheel etc. It should be here in the next 2-3 weeks. I cant wait.
    Steyr 110 FT Connect + Bushnell Elite 8-32x40

Great scope but the POI shift due to temp change was horrendous

I friend at the club also bought one back from the states and has the same problem.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

I friend at the club also bought one back from the states and has the same problem.
    Chris I heard the competition series was the least temp sensative. Ah well looks like its time for some fish tank temp strips.

Quote Originally Posted by Gar73 View Post
    Chris I heard the competition series was the least temp sensative. Ah well looks like its time for some fish tank temp strips.
    Sorry .....you never know, you might be lucky.

It seems that some are worse than others but all the lads i know that have a Comp do have POI problems.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

It seems that some are worse than others but all the lads i know that have a Comp do have POI problems.
    How does the temp shift happen Chris. Is it a case of the scope under/over rangefinds due to varying temps, or does the poi change.

Interesting comments regarding 'temperature shifts' - I have owned and used Leupold scopes for my FT rifles for 18 years now and in that time I have not had problems due to temperature.

What I did find at a very early stage was if you did the rangefinding marks in extremes of light conditions i.e. too bright or too dull then you would experience variations in range readings when you had different light conditions.

By picking a day that I would call bright overcast - 'diffuse' light and set your range markings they remain a lot more stable across a broad spectrum of conditions. Also better results can be had by setting your marks looking at targets that are not strong coloured - white can be problematic, defining focus by looking for texture on say rusty metal, tree bark, concrete blocks or similar helps.

I have often wondered if the problems that so often get blamed as temperature shifts are perceived that way because the brightness of the light often goes hand in hand with temperature.

I have a 35x Comp Series and setting it up in the above manner has not shown any variations. My 32x Mk4 is still using the range markings I put on it 7 years ago when I bought it - no shifts.

Dale

I know a lot of people using them on the FT circuit, and all the ones i've spoken to have NOT experienced a POI change in low or high temperature. Some of them are converts from the Nikko/BSA.

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    Interesting comments regarding 'temperature shifts' - I have owned and used Leupold scopes for my FT rifles for 18 years now and in that time I have not had problems due to temperature.

What I did find at a very early stage was if you did the rangefinding marks in extremes of light conditions i.e. too bright or too dull then you would experience variations in range readings when you had different light conditions.

By picking a day that I would call bright overcast - 'diffuse' light and set your range markings they remain a lot more stable across a broad spectrum of conditions. Also better results can be had by setting your marks looking at targets that are not strong coloured - white can be problematic, defining focus by looking for texture on say rusty metal, tree bark, concrete blocks or similar helps.

I have often wondered if the problems that so often get blamed as temperature shifts are perceived that way because the brightness of the light often goes hand in hand with temperature.

I have a 35x Comp Series and setting it up in the above manner has not shown any variations. My 32x Mk4 is still using the range markings I put on it 7 years ago when I bought it - no shifts.

Dale
    I know what your saying I have found the same even with my bushnell elite 8-32. The markings on the stnd front p/a ring are bang on for me when ranging from low to high. In bright light I find the distance comes in lower as you are able to pick definition out on the target earlier than on a dark target. On a darker target you go slightly further looking for the fine detail resulting in a longer distance shown. On a normal run of the mill grey overcast day its spot on which probably suits 95% of my shooting situations. When the 40x45 arrives I will set it up on a grey normal run of the mill winters day as its mainly for the winter league. I ranged a target today in dark conditions at 50yards when it was very bright sun it came in at 48 yards. I dont know about leupold comp and temp, but I agree about the light making a diff.

Not all

My 35x is spot on and hardly moves in any temps. I have never had a POI shift but I am sure temp does affect ranging slightly. The gaps are so big that the movement is a yard at most.

The only downside is the fixed mag.

Dave.

The Doctor is offline It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to
    I have to agree with the previous comments on this one - I have never experienced POI with any of the ones I have had, and the once I thought I might have had a problem, it turned out to be the rifle in the end - POI is generally the fault of the rifle, not the scope - I think this is most pertinent in this case

LeeH
    Please tear carefully along the perforation.

colingeaton Guest
    I borrowed a x40 mag for a couple of months and found it faultless except for one shoot on an open field where the sun baked myself and the kit to a crisp. That was the only time I ever noticed a major rangefinding variation. POI was unchanged, just that I was ranging 55yds at 60yds etc.

Upper Buggersdale, top of the Chevin near Leeds

Since I opted for transition lenses in my specs POI shift has become negligible Chris. I think that parallaxing errors may be down to the pupils dilating and contracting thus altering the perceived depth of field and thus the range shown on the side wheel. I test my 55 yard setting at the start of each shoot and have had absolutely no trouble with POI shift or parallax shift. The Competition series scopes are the least affected by temperature that I have used apart from the Burris 8-32x44 R/A.