Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leupold competition 40 x 45

Leupold competition 40 x 45

Any body knows who makes side wheels for these scopes

Barry/Ian Taylor Pontefract area. I collected mine yesterday.

Look in the " For sale" section at www.roughwedge.co.uk for contact details.
    Steyr 110 FT Connect + Bushnell Elite 8-32x40

TARGETZERO is offline Birds just leave me...but they always come back
    EXCELLENT REVIEW

Yes wrong section, mistakes happen. I thought I would point the gentleman in the right direction anyway. I am a kind hearted sole.

I might as well hi-jack the thread and do one then.
    What can I say about my 45/45 Leupold comp series, well here's 3.
    Megga.
    Awesome.
    Superb.

Had it for almost 2 years now, took a bit of getting used to but after a re-parallax (turned the objective lens out 2 full turns). I can see 9 to 90yds with it and distances from 8 (with adapter) to 60 are all on less than one turn of the wheel. The gaps between distances are huge, and it is the best rangefinding scope I have ever used. Actually, it's foolproof. The scope will do it's job in all conditions if you do your part. I have never experienced a temperature shift, and have used the same settings for almost 2 years.

I have only ever lost the crosshair once and that was at Newbury on a very dark target, I just moved off and back on again and all was ok.

The optics are so bright and clear it's jaw dropping.
    Clicks are possitive as you would expect from a Leupold.

I can honestly say that my Zenith/Leupold combination have improved my averages in FT.

I would recommend one to anyone. And with the exchange rate good at the moment, now is the time to do it.

ATB. Neil.

TARGETZERO is offline Birds just leave me...but they always come back

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sniper-wolf View Post
    I might as well hi-jack the thread and do one then.
    What can I say about my 45/45 Leupold comp series, well here's 3.
    Megga.
    Awesome.
    Superb.

Had it for almost 2 years now, took a bit of getting used to but after a re-parallax (turned the objective lens out 2 full turns). I can see 9 to 90yds with it and distances from 8 (with adapter) to 60 are all on less than one turn of the wheel. The gaps between distances are huge, and it is the best rangefinding scope I have ever used. Actually, it's foolproof. The scope will do it's job in all conditions if you do your part. I have never experienced a temperature shift, and have used the same settings for almost 2 years.

I have only ever lost the crosshair once and that was at Newbury on a very dark target, I just moved off and back on again and all was ok.

The optics are so bright and clear it's jaw dropping.
    Clicks are possitive as you would expect from a Leupold.

I can honestly say that my Zenith/Leupold combination have improved my averages in FT.

I would recommend one to anyone. And with the exchange rate good at the moment, now is the time to do it.

ATB. Neil.
    sounds good

I have a 40x45 on order with a fine duplex ret, so it should rule out any issues the target crosshairs/ target dot etc had. Everything is in place to bolt it straight onto the steyr burris zee rings, weaver rail, sidewheel etc. It should be here in the next 2-3 weeks. I cant wait.

Great scope but the POI shift due to temp change was horrendous

I friend at the club also bought one back from the states and has the same problem.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Great scope but the POI shift due to temp change was horrendous

I friend at the club also bought one back from the states and has the same problem.
    Chris I heard the competition series was the least temp sensative. Ah well looks like its time for some fish tank temp strips.

Quote Originally Posted by Gar73 View Post
    Chris I heard the competition series was the least temp sensative. Ah well looks like its time for some fish tank temp strips.
    Sorry .....you never know, you might be lucky.

It seems that some are worse than others but all the lads i know that have a Comp do have POI problems.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Sorry .....you never know, you might be lucky.

It seems that some are worse than others but all the lads i know that have a Comp do have POI problems.
    How does the temp shift happen Chris. Is it a case of the scope under/over rangefinds due to varying temps, or does the poi change.

Interesting comments regarding 'temperature shifts' - I have owned and used Leupold scopes for my FT rifles for 18 years now and in that time I have not had problems due to temperature.

What I did find at a very early stage was if you did the rangefinding marks in extremes of light conditions i.e. too bright or too dull then you would experience variations in range readings when you had different light conditions.

By picking a day that I would call bright overcast - 'diffuse' light and set your range markings they remain a lot more stable across a broad spectrum of conditions. Also better results can be had by setting your marks looking at targets that are not strong coloured - white can be problematic, defining focus by looking for texture on say rusty metal, tree bark, concrete blocks or similar helps.

I have often wondered if the problems that so often get blamed as temperature shifts are perceived that way because the brightness of the light often goes hand in hand with temperature.

I have a 35x Comp Series and setting it up in the above manner has not shown any variations. My 32x Mk4 is still using the range markings I put on it 7 years ago when I bought it - no shifts.

Dale

I know a lot of people using them on the FT circuit, and all the ones i've spoken to have NOT experienced a POI change in low or high temperature. Some of them are converts from the Nikko/BSA.

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    Interesting comments regarding 'temperature shifts' - I have owned and used Leupold scopes for my FT rifles for 18 years now and in that time I have not had problems due to temperature.

What I did find at a very early stage was if you did the rangefinding marks in extremes of light conditions i.e. too bright or too dull then you would experience variations in range readings when you had different light conditions.

By picking a day that I would call bright overcast - 'diffuse' light and set your range markings they remain a lot more stable across a broad spectrum of conditions. Also better results can be had by setting your marks looking at targets that are not strong coloured - white can be problematic, defining focus by looking for texture on say rusty metal, tree bark, concrete blocks or similar helps.

I have often wondered if the problems that so often get blamed as temperature shifts are perceived that way because the brightness of the light often goes hand in hand with temperature.

I have a 35x Comp Series and setting it up in the above manner has not shown any variations. My 32x Mk4 is still using the range markings I put on it 7 years ago when I bought it - no shifts.

Dale
    I know what your saying I have found the same even with my bushnell elite 8-32. The markings on the stnd front p/a ring are bang on for me when ranging from low to high. In bright light I find the distance comes in lower as you are able to pick definition out on the target earlier than on a dark target. On a darker target you go slightly further looking for the fine detail resulting in a longer distance shown. On a normal run of the mill grey overcast day its spot on which probably suits 95% of my shooting situations. When the 40x45 arrives I will set it up on a grey normal run of the mill winters day as its mainly for the winter league. I ranged a target today in dark conditions at 50yards when it was very bright sun it came in at 48 yards. I dont know about leupold comp and temp, but I agree about the light making a diff.

i think scopes get blamed for shift more often than they deserve and that the guns shift more than people think...a consistant chrono string doesnt mean the gun isnt warping. Totally agree about the light/dark/colour shift. The trick is to try and find something more consistant than the plate...not always easy.

nice to see that the custom shop can change the rets as well.