Thread: why ?????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

why ?????

why is it there are so few taking up pistol shooting, at clubs etc??

there are some very nice modern revolvers available & semi-auto's that are there !! in various cals including .22-.375-.44

i have been shooting l/b pistols at a local club for some time & find it challenging & a real break from the norm....

come on guys whats hapening...dya don't know what ya missing

pistols are for people, not the kind of thing i want to go hunting for....

I use a 30 carbine Taurus at our club quite often, good fun and pretty accurate at 100yds

baz
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Is there a fun format for a pistol comp that would be suitable for an outdoor FT/HFT club to put on?

I've heard people mention Pistol HFT, but how does that work and what are the rules etc.?

NEFTA does hold a Pistol league as part of our Winter League shoots, that consists of 10 lollipop style targets from 4 yards to 25 yards.

It gets reasonable support probably about 50-70 people take part.

levidog is offline I got wood.........Bzzzzzz
    I think most people that have met me know that I prefer pistols to rifles.

I have for a long time felt that a national series of pistol hft is a great idea.

It has been suggested that the side shoots that clubs already do, alongside the main event, could be replaced by such a pistol league.

Any thoughts ?

Don't for Gods sake ask Sparky, he has enough to do already.

Sean

25yds with a pistol... I find 10yds hard enough

Quote Originally Posted by Brian.Samson View Post
    Is there a fun format for a pistol comp that would be suitable for an outdoor FT/HFT club to put on?

I've heard people mention Pistol HFT, but how does that work and what are the rules etc.?

NEFTA does hold a Pistol league as part of our Winter League shoots, that consists of 10 lollipop style targets from 4 yards to 25 yards.

Yes there is - we do Pistol HFT every month at Lea Valley. Have done for years. The rules are just being tweaked at the mo but will be on the club website soon.

It's pretty much standard HFT but with special targets - tweaked by our in-house maestro to allow the use of CO2 pistols. Basically 10-15 firing points, targets between 10 & 25 yards, 5 shots at each target, scoring 5 kill, 2 hit, 0 miss.

We allow use of all pistols (inc TACS with FAC proof) and have classes for red-dot, optical and open sights.

It's very popular with about 30 members and guests having a go each month.

1st Saturday of every month

HTH

R

Upper Buggersdale, top of the Chevin near Leeds
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian.Samson View Post

At Guiseley we used to have a random target shoot. 10 Targets were placed in a quarter circle and numbered. The sequence was drawn from a hat and called out one by one. The shooter had 30 seconds to locate the target and shoot it. Then the next one was drawn and called and so on untill all 10 targets were shot.
    We also had an FT pistol shoot similar to rifle FT with 2 targets per lane. Sadly interest waned and but I am trying to rekindle interest at GFTC.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakker View Post
    why is it there are so few taking up pistol shooting, at clubs etc??
    I never got into pistols in the UK as I couldn't use the type I wanted....have very much got into them here though.

I had a go with a Taurus .44 mag the other week and i must admit it was amazingly good fun and it really made me think about taking it up.

pistols

I regular shoot a Taurus .22/.357 revolver & now a Browningbuck mark, semi-auto
    they are all great fun ,& take a little more patience & skill...now i realise them gun slingging films , just aint..no where near reality.. at the club , you can see how far out they can be, i know the rifle argument, but,as i mainly shoot rifles over land, for hunting etc... another skill.

so ,i find the pistols , good for getting down the club with the lads,..& generally handy around the home!! as it don't take up too much space.., something diffrent..

GET ONE you'll see... as for air pistols/rhoms etc...lmao...get the real thing !!'wimp'
    Last edited by Trakker; 14-08-2007 at 07:14 PM.

DaveK is offline Has been known to tickle spider crabs
    Has never been the same since we were dispossessed.

Prior to the handgun ban there were competitions galore from bianchi to service & police pistol.

Unfortunately with the current specs for LBR's they're not suitable for many of the old competitions.

I've shot LBR's and an not impressed. I'd stick my neck out further and suggest that people that ARE impressed by LBR's never shot their predecessors. But it's what you have at your disposal thats important and, unfortunately, the only option is LBR.

Ray, YHPM

Dave

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Quote Originally Posted by Trakker View Post
    GET ONE you'll see... as for air pistols/rhoms etc...lmao...get the real thing !!'wimp'
    Might this, in a nutshell, be part of the problem you are having?
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Because we are limited to BP muzzle loader and LBR.

They just not the same as the proper pistols! Dont balance right or recoil in the right way. Never been a fan of the LBR may get one but not yet. Currently have a BP revolver but its a lot of hassel as well.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Because we are limited to BP muzzle loader and LBR.

They just not the same as the proper pistols! Dont balance right or recoil in the right way. Never been a fan of the LBR may get one but not yet. Currently have a BP revolver but its a lot of hassel as well.

Matt
    i garantee , get a l/b revolver a 'Taurus', or even the 'Browning buckmark' pistol (semi-auto ) you wont look at black/powder or blunderbusses again !!

& will enjoy ever moment with a Taurus, the balance is right, the shoot is right & they are accurate as h311.... as good as any, if not better than the old snub noses etc..