Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why ?????

why ?????

why is it there are so few taking up pistol shooting, at clubs etc??

there are some very nice modern revolvers available & semi-auto's that are there !! in various cals including .22-.375-.44

i have been shooting l/b pistols at a local club for some time & find it challenging & a real break from the norm....

come on guys whats hapening...dya don't know what ya missing

pistols are for people, not the kind of thing i want to go hunting for....

I use a 30 carbine Taurus at our club quite often, good fun and pretty accurate at 100yds

baz
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Is there a fun format for a pistol comp that would be suitable for an outdoor FT/HFT club to put on?

I've heard people mention Pistol HFT, but how does that work and what are the rules etc.?

NEFTA does hold a Pistol league as part of our Winter League shoots, that consists of 10 lollipop style targets from 4 yards to 25 yards.

It gets reasonable support probably about 50-70 people take part.

levidog is offline I got wood.........Bzzzzzz
    I think most people that have met me know that I prefer pistols to rifles.

I have for a long time felt that a national series of pistol hft is a great idea.

It has been suggested that the side shoots that clubs already do, alongside the main event, could be replaced by such a pistol league.

Any thoughts ?

Don't for Gods sake ask Sparky, he has enough to do already.

Sean

25yds with a pistol... I find 10yds hard enough

Does this lack of response answer you question Brian / Trakker

Quote Originally Posted by levidog View Post
    Does this lack of response answer you question Brian / Trakker
    Hehe - well I guess in a way it does really It tells me that there just isn't the demand out there for a pistol shooting format.

I did a little digging for myself and came up with :- IPFTA but it didn't really inspire me (so I'm guessing it wouldn't really inspire many other people either).

I guess I'll stick to shooting the pistol comp in the NEFTA Winter league then. It's good fun and hitting those 25 yard targets in a howling crosswind can be erm.. interesting

I've got a new pistol for this season and I'm quietly confident of vastly improved scores - watch out Finley, I'm coming to get ya

Looks like I'm going to have to move up north. I'd love to try and take young Tim on with my Falcon

Mind you if you are as good with a pistol as you are with a rifle I'll stay where I am.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by levidog View Post
    Looks like I'm going to have to move up north. I'd love to try and take young Tim on with my Falcon

Mind you if you are as good with a pistol as you are with a rifle I'll stay where I am.

Sean
    It's grim oop north Sean

There's no shortage of excellent pistol shots up here - Tim Finley, Ian Taylor, Ken Ingham, Mark Liddle, Chris Cundy to name a few. They've all got a date with an arse kicking when I whip my tricked up Rohm out though

Quote Originally Posted by Brian.Samson View Post
    Is there a fun format for a pistol comp that would be suitable for an outdoor FT/HFT club to put on?

I've heard people mention Pistol HFT, but how does that work and what are the rules etc.?

NEFTA does hold a Pistol league as part of our Winter League shoots, that consists of 10 lollipop style targets from 4 yards to 25 yards.

Yes there is - we do Pistol HFT every month at Lea Valley. Have done for years. The rules are just being tweaked at the mo but will be on the club website soon.

It's pretty much standard HFT but with special targets - tweaked by our in-house maestro to allow the use of CO2 pistols. Basically 10-15 firing points, targets between 10 & 25 yards, 5 shots at each target, scoring 5 kill, 2 hit, 0 miss.

We allow use of all pistols (inc TACS with FAC proof) and have classes for red-dot, optical and open sights.

It's very popular with about 30 members and guests having a go each month.

1st Saturday of every month

HTH

R

Upper Buggersdale, top of the Chevin near Leeds

At Guiseley we used to have a random target shoot. 10 Targets were placed in a quarter circle and numbered. The sequence was drawn from a hat and called out one by one. The shooter had 30 seconds to locate the target and shoot it. Then the next one was drawn and called and so on untill all 10 targets were shot.
    We also had an FT pistol shoot similar to rifle FT with 2 targets per lane. Sadly interest waned and but I am trying to rekindle interest at GFTC.

Upper Buggersdale, top of the Chevin near Leeds
    It's grim oop north Sean

There's no shortage of excellent pistol shots up here - Tim Finley, Ian Taylor, Ken Ingham, Mark Liddle, Chris Cundy to name a few. They've all got a date with an arse kicking when I whip my tricked up Rohm out though
    Can't wait Bri. (Fame at last. )

I too have a new Steyr to kick Tim's bottom with. (Not literaly)

Quote Originally Posted by Trakker View Post
    why is it there are so few taking up pistol shooting, at clubs etc??
    I never got into pistols in the UK as I couldn't use the type I wanted....have very much got into them here though.

I had a go with a Taurus .44 mag the other week and i must admit it was amazingly good fun and it really made me think about taking it up.