Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Less is definitely more.

Less is definitely more.

For you springer types who shoot comps.

People tend to get discouraged if there springer doesn't perform instantly out of the box, and making the transition between PcP to Springer successfully is hard enough, let alone trying to master the hold of the springer.
    And the sad part is people just don't give it enough time, I'd say realistically give yourself 2-3 months good practise.

DONT EXPECT INSTANT RESULTS, BE PATIENT!

Recent tests have shown you dont need 12Ftlbs to knock down a target.
    I tried 9ftlbs and found this was too low, but today I went out with my 97k shooting 750fps with Mosquitoes.
    The result was interesting, as there was plenty of wind at 45 yrds and still it goes down.

The only down side to me dropping points today was the aim points (close range) changes dramatically, and as I only mounted the scope at LV 10 mins before hand, all I did was to find a target around 20-30 yrds (that'll do, I thought) and of I went.

Now the idea behind this test is to reduce the recoil to a point where, it becomes very stable and consistent to shoot, and Its almost possible to see the target go down as well.

The best part of this test was seeing some friends shoot it, and there faces as they get up from the target after it dropped, It got a positive response, job done..!

So for all you chaps who want to get into comps with a new springer, go for a fine balance between power and shoot-ability, otherwise you could find yourself shooting a bucking bronco..

And whats worse, its on here for sale after a couple of weeks.

Good luck, and don't forget this is your chosen sport, & its your hobby, so make sure you enjoy what your doing (Very important).

Please feel free to ask questions about your springer etc, because there are many very knowledgeable members on here that will be able to help out I'm sure.!

Harv
    CS1000-HW97K
    HW 75 .177
    HW 45 Black Star

TD won quite a few FT shoots with "Emily" shooting at around 10ftlb

To add I have just been testing a HW77 .22 I have just stroked and tuned and at 20ftlb with JSBs it too is sweet as a sweet thing, I am hitting an inch spinner at 50yds on my garden range allowing about an inch as its a bit windy, so although lower power will usually equal softer "recoil" a properly set up springer with a decent piston washer (very important it fits nicely) and a well damped spring will still be very accurate if allowed to do what it wants due to a relaxed but consistent hold

I also have a HW55 that is shooting at 10ftlb that is ridiculously easy to shoot accurately

I still get a "buzz" from shooting springers
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

I got one of my 77's out my cabinet today, didnt shoot it but it just felt so nice to hold... think a bit of practice and off out again with her

Great post Harv

Think peeps sometimes forget where a lot of the top class shooters started and competed well with before the PCP's became predominant.

Guys like yourself and John Budd, give us newbs the incentive to do well, and keep up the practice. Can be frustrating at times, but highlly rewarding as you get the feel for it.

A fellah at Juniper Greens shoot done so well with his Webley Longbow, at the second to last shoot, that he went straight for the open class this time round after getting it tuned by Steve pope, and done pretty well.

Not many shoots up here have enough spring gun shooters to have a seperate recoiling class, and have been tempted to punt the Pro Sport for a AA400, but have said sod it, even if I have got to go open I'm going to enjoy the challenge of taming the beast, and hopefully in time give they PCP boys some competition.

Got myself a spring and guides from V-Mach, and have gave the rifle a once over previouslly, nice predictable recoil now, shooting pretty sweet, enjoying shooting the springer more and more as time goes on.

Springers FTW, and blow some preconceptions out the water

Going with your advice Harv - new spring in, shooting at 10.6ft/lbs - gonna give it a go - God help me

Good luck mate, post your findings..
    CS1000-HW97K
    HW 75 .177
    HW 45 Black Star

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Good luck mate, post your findings..
    Will do, fingers crossed it wont be with fingers covered in grease and through a mess of allen keys

Harv i took mine round to Tels last night and must say i do need at least 3 months practice, i was dire.
    Close shots went hight standers went left and long shots went right
    When can i get my re-grease
    Maldon and district arc the fastest growing club in the South http://www.madarc.co.uk/

M.A.D For It

Quote Originally Posted by nibbleyuk View Post
    Harv i took mine round to Tels last night and must say i do need at least 3 months practice, i was dire.
    Close shots went hight standers went left and long shots went right
    When can i get my re-grease
    I think a re-lube isn't your answer bud its practise!!

But I'll do it for you just as soon as I get a free minute to myself..ok
    CS1000-HW97K
    HW 75 .177
    HW 45 Black Star

Ideot Savant Guest
    I think a re-lube isn't your answer bud its practise!!

But I'll do it for you just as soon as I get a free minute to myself..ok
    Good advice Harvey. Any chance of a bit of a springer lesson some time? I seem to have lost my touch

Matt.

Matt, see if we can hook up at the UK springer comp, and i'll be happy to give you some pointers.
    CS1000-HW97K
    HW 75 .177
    HW 45 Black Star

Pikeman Terry Wheatley

HI Harv just like to say what a gent you av been,since you let me shoot ya gun after a comp a few weeks ago you av been nothing but help help help. because soon after that i was hook went and bought a springer PRO SPORT as you said this may be one of the best guns ya could fire off the shelf.have been doing a bit of practising and finding some resultsthen ordered me g-bea stock and av just loaded it with the new MENACE!!
    Just like to say thanks for all your advice & help
    Cheers TANTRUM TEL

BEESA is offline A Man walks in to a bar.....
    Quote Originally Posted by pikeman View Post
    HI Harv just like to say what a gent you av been,since you let me shoot ya gun after a comp a few weeks ago you av been nothing but help help help. because soon after that i was hook went and bought a springer PRO SPORT as you said this may be one of the best guns ya could fire off the shelf.have been doing a bit of practising and finding some resultsthen ordered me g-bea stock and av just loaded it with the new MENACE!!
    Just like to say thanks for all your advice & help
    Cheers TANTRUM TEL

Tel , does this mean the Daystate is going to be spending more time in the cupboard
    Welcome to the darkside m8

Don ...

Ideot Savant Guest
    Matt, see if we can hook up at the UK springer comp, and i'll be happy to give you some pointers.
    Thankyou!

BEESA is offline A Man walks in to a bar.....
    Harv , i am on the case m8 just had a play with my TX200HC she is hovering around the 10ft lb mark just a little back garden plinking at the moment but going to the range tomorrow for some more testing
    Recoil whats that again

Don ...