Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good starter pistol for 10m target

Good starter pistol for 10m target

I'm thinking of getting into 10m target pistol can anybody recommend a starter pistol for 10m. It must have a ambi or left hand grip option.
    Any good ideas anybody?
    This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.. Logun Axsor Carbine .177 Weaver V24 6-24x42

Pistol for 10m.

I remember a while back I readone of Clubshots postings & it seems many folk use the 6" S & W C02.

It may not be quite as accurate as pistols such as Rohms, but it's less than half the price & it is anbidextrous.

Just noticed your in Staffordshire. You are welcome to give mine a try if I'm not too far away from you.
    Far too many rifles & pistols to mention here.

The S&W cannot be considered a target pistol. It just doesn't come near the required accuracy, trigger quality or ergonomics.

Tom, the cheapest starter is the Gamo Compact which is available with a l/h grip although you'll probably have to order it specially. The HW75 is similar but more expensive but does have an ambi grip. These are both single-stroke pneumatic pistols. If you can find a secondhand FAS6004 with a l/h grip that's also an excellent choice.
    After that you're into CO2-powered guns and looking at the Rohm range where, again, a l/h grip is an option. There's also the BRNO range but I don't know how easy it is to get l/h versions.

Jonathan

levidog is offline I got wood.........Bzzzzzz
    I agree with Snapshot, the Gamo Compact is considered the normal starters standard. The only thing is that the trigger is no where as good as it use to be when it got its reputation. I started off with one but borrowed a precharged Rohm Twinmaster Top. The Gamo was soon up for sale.

I now have a Sam K11 but that's heading for more serious money.

The usual suggestion is to try other peoples, but like you I'm left handed and so that's not always an option.

Sean

Smile

Hi, I agree, the Compact, Rohm, FWB 65/80/90, Original6/10 just to name a few have their different merits, it's important to try as many pistols as you can prior to parting with your hard earned.

Why not pop along to the national indoor shooting centre at Aldersley, Wolves.( Tele:01902743562) speak to Tony Taylor, he will let you try what ever club guns they have, so there's a start!

Also City Air Weapons & Firearms Lyndon road Olton Solihull (01217421329) keep loads of pistols in stock, now there's a rare thing these days, they will will help you.
    Dave
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

I couldn't recommend a starter pistol for 10m shooting....they make a lot of noise but there's nowhere for the pellet to come out

Seriously, all proper target pistols have dedicated L/R grips, none are ambi. So finding one with left hand grips will be a bit of a bugger in the cheaper range. If you've never shot paper with a pistol before and don't want to risk loadsa dosh, you could always have a go with an HW40, or a Rohm Co2 with ambi grips, they won't be as accurate as a dedicated pistol, but they're not the price either. As for the Gamo Compact.......the trigger needs work on as it's as heavy as hell, HERE'S a guide on my website showing how to lighten them up a bit. There's a thought.....an ambi gripped Compact is available in the form of the PR45, a compact without the wooden grips.....a possible?

Nige

Thanks a lot everybody. I will see what I can try out next time I go down to the gun club
    This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.. Logun Axsor Carbine .177 Weaver V24 6-24x42

Small point about the gamo PR45 - it has a simpler trigger than the Compact, non-adjustable, and the blade itself looks like a water pistol IMO - it just slides back. Could a S/H right handed Compact be fitted with PR45 grips as a cheaper alternative than a L/H Compact?

The HW75 is nice but it's probably fair to say that you pay for the name, and quality, but without getting any "match" features. For example, the foresight post and rearsight notch can't be replaced or adjusted to give a different sight picture (I don't mean windage and elevation, but notch width).
    Having said that, if you try one and find you like it ...

I've got a VGC Compact for sale in the for sale section (err, obviously) but its right handed. So I don't know if that is a very helpful comment...

Can you get the Biakal IZH 46m in your area?

It would have to be the best value match pistol on the market and capable of some very high scores. Has an excellent trigger and custom grips for LH shooters are available

Paul

FWB 65, Gamo Compact, Original 10 or 6M (the 6M not the 6). Always plenty for sale second-hand but you might have trouble finding one with left-hand grips. It might even be worth getting a set made.

Starter Pistol

Hi

I started pistol target shooting this January with a Gamo Compact, it was very good as a starting point, but the trigger was not to my likes, it the broke in a big terminal way and a new pistol was needed.

After lots of looking and trying, I suprised myself and opted for a Weihrauch HW 75, as someone else said no sight picture adjustment. However it has been far more accurate than I and has a nice trigger, better when altered so it can be adjusted lighter, needs a small alteration to the grip internals.

I could have had a rohm, just about, but then would have needed a bottle etc.(I am a springer / pneumatic fan and don't do precharged guns, but thats just me).

But do try other peoples pistols, its the only way to know whats right for you, not whats right for the seller!

Whatever you do end up buying, it will only ever work with continuing practice and perseverance.

Good luck with whatever you go for, its a challenging sport air pistol target shooting!
    Shootin Al

Starter Pistol

Try a Weihrauch HW70, OK its spring and not recoiless but its only 100 or so well made with a good trigger. I should be on comission the number of times I've praised this little gun. Ok and it suits right or left handed use...

left handers

unbeliveably 3 out of our four man team are left handed !!, and they make their own... (pistol grips),, ( im the right handed one ! ) , they seem to shoot slightly beter than me, ( something to do with the heartbeat and pulse ),, ( so they tell me ),, ive "upgraded" to a pardini,, i just like a pistol that dosnt need to be charged,, jmo. i just like an "enclosed unit" for want of a better word..

good luck.......

I have just started to mess wit 10metre pistol and had a Gamo compact that i bought sometime previous, could not really get to grips with it, no real consistency, someone offered me ago with the club FWB 80...wow almost every shot in the black and bulls regularly, now shooting an average of 165 which I feel for a newbie is acceptable. The gun is a springer as well which I prefer to pcp
    Have a go with a FWB 80.
    PM me for money saving prices on aquarium fish foods.