Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Memories of Mick

Acenorth. is offline Extreme Ironing World Record Holder.
    1st Met mick at the Chester HFT back in 2003, he was camping with Derek and if I remember correctly they where in a small blue pug with a trailer in tow. He didnt know me from adam but was quick to give as much advice and tips to me and my mate Karl.

The next time I bumped into him was the afforementioned time that Lee H mentioned (Millride) he set up camp at the top end of the field. If my fading memory serves me correct there was Karl and myself camping along with Craig Miller and Shaggypack, Badgeroy was camping in his van too. The weather was rather cold minus 5 to be exact and believe me it was freezing.

Mick had the kettle on supplying hot drinks and even cooked me a full english in the morning. A generous, kind hearted gent that will be missed.

Gone are the days of the old HFT and although there are a lot of excellent characters about on the circuit today, not many meet up to Micks standards.

Ian
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    Don't assume anything.... It makes an ASS out of U and ME

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acenorth. View Post
    Gone are the days of the old HFT and although there are a lot of excellent characters about on the circuit today, not many meet up to Micks standards.

Ian
    You are not wrong there Ian, this camping, the nights before the shoots were what made me attend as many as I have, the crack, the laughs(the beer!), sadly seem in short supply nowadays, which is why I dont, wont, be doing anywhere near as many in the future.........it's great turning up in a field in the middle of nowhere on a Fri night and being the only sad Ba____d there!

Sorry, not quite the right place for a post like this but Mick made it worthwhile turning up on the Fri night!
    You will be missed Mick!

Cheers.

Roy.
    Last edited by Retracted_Yeti; 25-07-2007 at 11:34 PM.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

Mick was one of the first people to welcome me to Lea Valley when I went to my first HFT TPC style shoot and together with Derek with his mobile house help me put up my flimsy tent. Here's a picture of that event, Mick in white next to the bloke with a gun and me with a silly hat on behind the bloke with the pink camo jacket http://www.ukahft-photos.org.uk/copp...81_IMG_JPG.jpg

All memories of Mick were good ones when I used to take Elliot to the UKAHFT shoots if I couldn't find him and Mick was on the site I would only have to go to his caravan to find Elliot sitting at the table with the lads (without a beer) too sociable that dog!

Then there was the shoot we had at the Chester club way back before Sparky and myself launched the UKAHFT on you lot , I'd painted all the targets black including the kill zones much to the Dismay of our Supermick especially as they were tucked away in the shadows and I beat him for the first and last time Still have some pictures of that event.

A great guy that will be sorely missed by all that knew him.

Nev
    Last edited by Backache; 30-07-2007 at 08:26 PM.

http://veteransinaction.org.uk My favourite Military Charity

http://nevsniggles.com Handyman Services

When me and Mick used to go on hunting trips to North Wales, he used to come here first to pick me up and then hit the road for the 3 ½ hour journey (apart from the time he got lost and it took us 6 hours)

How he and another chap came back white as a sheet after seeing a huge black cat up in the mountains.

Mick used to love this story, about 5 of us split up and me Mick and Bob ended up on this verge just chilling, we then noticed one of the other lads at the bottom stalking a squirrel, he took about 10mins creeping through the undergrowth etc to get within a decent range of this squirrel and as he shoulder the gun and was about to pull the trigger I shot the squirrel, Mick was in tears with laughter as the other chat wasn’t amused.

But he used to get me every time regarding Football, I would always ask him how Man Utd were doing when we were away as he had a radio with him all the time and he used wind me up all the time by saying they were losing or lost and get be going but saying how rubbish they were etc.

There’s a few other stories and laughs we had about other things but too much to go on here.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by sparky View Post
    When me and Mick used to go on hunting trips to North Wales, he used to come here first to pick me up and then hit the road for the 3 ½ hour journey (apart from the time he got lost and it took us 6 hours)

How he and another chap came back white as a sheet after seeing a huge black cat up in the mountains.

Mick used to love this story, about 5 of us split up and me Mick and Bob ended up on this verge just chilling, we then noticed one of the other lads at the bottom stalking a squirrel, he took about 10mins creeping through the undergrowth etc to get within a decent range of this squirrel and as he shoulder the gun and was about to pull the trigger I shot the squirrel, Mick was in tears with laughter as the other chat wasn’t amused.

But he used to get me every time regarding Football, I would always ask him how Man Utd were doing when we were away as he had a radio with him all the time and he used wind me up all the time by saying they were losing or lost and get be going but saying how rubbish they were etc.

There’s a few other stories and laughs we had about other things but too much to go on here.

Pete
    Pete that moment was special wasn't it

I honestly thought Mick was gonna roll down that hill laughing

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Pete that moment was special wasn't it

I honestly thought Mick was gonna roll down that hill laughing

I think he was still in shock 2 days later

Pete

Rest in peace Mick, I remember you from when this BBS was a much less crowded place.
    Chris(Tigger C)
    Lick my decals

Arrow

My memory of Mick was when he came to a special airgun section meeting at Cobham. The meeting was exceptionally bad tempered and in fact ended up with little old ME being thrown out of the club shortly afterwards for having the temerity to point out at a subsequent meeting that a) the NON VOTING airgun section effectively funded the whole forking club and b) without the revenues from the section the club would go BUST very quickly. A few Cobham/bbs members including Jon (Buddyboy) Graham (baxterbasics) Martin (landyman) Chris (oildropper) Nick (bomag) and Mick adjourned to the pub to consider what we would do next. Sadly it didn't help much because soon after that meeting I was chucked out and the main members of the section left in support thus effectively ending airgun shooting at Cobham. That was the last time I saw Mick and I will always remember his wise counsel and fund of shooting stories with great affection-now of course tinged with great sadness at his sudden departure from us.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Sorry to dig this up from the past but I only just found out he passed away after been away from this site for over 6 years now.

Well I have so many great memories of the guy but I can quite honestly say he is easily one of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting and was a true gent and would bend over backwards to help me.

I remember quite a few rides in the White Alfa but being a kid then I used to love it
    Stright Shooting!