Thread: Memories of Mick

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    A few that spring to mind:

Him leading the 'February Revolution' at LV and laying the foundations for the development of the club.

Roping me into the committee when I couldn't think of a 'no' fast enough, and then buggering off & leaving us to it.

Him making me and JDP present and then get a vote for every single change to the then LV constitution - it took about an hour!!

The numerous Ratcatcher modifications, when I saw it I thought 'Oh yeah, right' but the he then proceeded to hit the 65 yard bell 5/5 and delighted in telling all the Mk3 owners how it cost 1/6th of their rifles.

Doing HFT with a .25

Him, Derek and possibly Ron taking the out of Simon (sorry Simon!) by arranging up a dead rabbit in a munching pose and then collapsing in giggles as Simon stalked it, bopped it and then looked confused as it didn't fall or run. The story got funnier with each telling

Most of all I'll remember his kindness to new and confused shooters on their first visit to the club / a meet. He went the extra mile for people he hardly knew.

There's a nice photo of Mick on the 'news' section of the club website - thanks to Warby for sorting it

R

El Sec

I too have done the Alfa seat-grab, all the way to Lea Valley and back.

"What's the matter, Tel - surely you're not nervous?"

"No Mick, I'm not nervous, mate. I am, however, absolutely bloody terrified!"

"You want to see someone about that, Tel."

"I'd be happy just to see my family again, if it's all the same to you, Mick!"

"Well why didn't you say you were missing them? I'll get the old foot down and have you home in no time."

Oh yes, thanks to Mick, my pants know the colour of fear.

Roger's summed him up for me in this sentence.

"Most of all I'll remember his kindness to new and confused shooters on their first visit to the club / a meet. He went the extra mile for people he hardly knew."

He didn't really know me, but made me feel like I'd known him for years.

He set standards for us all.
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

baxterbasics Guest

Midland Game Fair:

Mick bumped into an old friend at the Midland last year. He was at the fair with his wife. Due to physical problems,he was using one of the show provided electric carts. Due to an electrical fault,the cart was barely able to move. Mick pushed his friend around most of the fair-this act of selfless generosity will be one of the enduring memories I have of him
    Oh yeah,when I sugested he let me push,as he was too old(),he told me to "Bugger Off-you cheeky young sod"

Baz, you capped a few off in your opening post, but..

the git jinxed myself and Ian (Acenorth) twice on the trot to such an extent I told him to go fornicate off and had to translate the scouse equivalent from Ian Mick and I share(d) a distain for prone shots, and on more than one occasion didn't bother, his 60yd standing shot on the squirrel with his .20 Fenman at Quarry and the look on his face will stay with me....... As will the ribbing Keith (GH) got when his beloved Axsor went OTT at a shoot, the only problem was that Mick and myself did not get a piccy of Keith using my Rapid.

Oh by the way I overtook Mick twice in his Alfa, both times in my Landy!!!!!

Oh and everytime I go to Weston I'll be waiting for a voice to come over my shoulder saying 'can you believe what he's charging for that ?'
    I'm telling you it moved!

Acenorth. is offline Extreme Ironing World Record Holder.
    1st Met mick at the Chester HFT back in 2003, he was camping with Derek and if I remember correctly they where in a small blue pug with a trailer in tow. He didnt know me from adam but was quick to give as much advice and tips to me and my mate Karl.

The next time I bumped into him was the afforementioned time that Lee H mentioned (Millride) he set up camp at the top end of the field. If my fading memory serves me correct there was Karl and myself camping along with Craig Miller and Shaggypack, Badgeroy was camping in his van too. The weather was rather cold minus 5 to be exact and believe me it was freezing.

Mick had the kettle on supplying hot drinks and even cooked me a full english in the morning. A generous, kind hearted gent that will be missed.

Gone are the days of the old HFT and although there are a lot of excellent characters about on the circuit today, not many meet up to Micks standards.

Ian
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    Don't assume anything.... It makes an ASS out of U and ME

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acenorth. View Post
    Gone are the days of the old HFT and although there are a lot of excellent characters about on the circuit today, not many meet up to Micks standards.

Ian
    You are not wrong there Ian, this camping, the nights before the shoots were what made me attend as many as I have, the crack, the laughs(the beer!), sadly seem in short supply nowadays, which is why I dont, wont, be doing anywhere near as many in the future.........it's great turning up in a field in the middle of nowhere on a Fri night and being the only sad Ba____d there!

Sorry, not quite the right place for a post like this but Mick made it worthwhile turning up on the Fri night!
    You will be missed Mick!

Cheers.

Roy.
    Last edited by Retracted_Yeti; 25-07-2007 at 11:34 PM.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!