Thread: A couple of Omega Questions......

Question A couple of Omega Questions......

Hey guys, I bought a 'well used' .22 Omega at the back end of last year as a winter project, and it's getting close to completion.

I've got a couple of general Omega questions (Gareth WB to the white courtesy telephone....):

1. Best pellet? After reasembly at the weekend I did some chrono tests to see what the new spring was putting out. I used AA Field, but noticed that the skirts were quite narrow (the pellet 'fell' into the breech before settling with about 3mm clearance between the back of the skirt and the breech face). I've got 3/4 of a tin of PROPER 1980's Eley Wasps, that I can try but they won't last long, and can't be replaced. Any suggestions? Alternatively, is it possible to swage the skirts out a bit to get a better fit? Finally, is it all academic as the air pulse will expand the skirt anyway????

2. This one's a bit more unusual...... I know some of the original Longbow parts are interchangeable with the Omega - does this include the stock? I'm not restoring the gun to concourse condition, but want to make it a good hunting gun, and I figure the Longbow SE stock would make a good addition (seems it's the only decent bit of the Turkish Longbow).

Cheers

Dunk.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, raise the black flag & start slitting throats"

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Hi Dunk,

The air pulse will expand the skirt as you say, true, so it will mate with the rifling, but in my .22 Omegas, I have always favoured RWS Hobbies -- forget what you read about the flat heads of these, as they are spot-on out to 40 yards, and ok out to 45 yards. Beyond that, unless 'fun' plinking (not hunting), imo, you shouldn’t be using a sub 12ft.lb rifle anyway.

Regarding the Longbow stock, sorry, but it is a no (have tried), although if you are brave with a wood rasp and sand block (hand held only would be my recommendation), and are skilled with a drill and wood-fill, I am sure you could get one to fit and look good?

Hope this (sort of) helps . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Thanks Gareth - I suspected the stock question was a long shot (pardon the pun)......

I've got a tin of Hobby's somewhere in the cupboard - I'll give them a go.

Cheers

Dunk
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, raise the black flag & start slitting throats"

Omega Stock

Have you thought about a custom stock, they are not as expensive as you might think. I bought one for my FWB124 and am really chuffed with it

Hi Ken, yes the thought did cross my mind (I've got a gorgeous CS700 from Custom Stocks on my HW80). I'm just not sure if they do anything for the Omega - that might be 'phase2' of my project

Dunk

I seem to recall asking Custom Stocks.....

.....about doing an Omega stock several months ago and iirc they still had the template to do it. Let us know if you get the same answer.

ATB Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

I previously had a CS stock for the Omega many years back - sadly it met with an accident and against my better judgment it was binned, not repaired. Original went back on after a refinish. It was a thumbhole so I guess it would have been the 700. I'd certainly recommend them.
    In terms of pellet my .22 works best with UK size Wasps.