Thread: Wheel Weights for casting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wheel Weights for casting

Just got a biscuit tin full of clip-on wheel weights for nothing from my local tyre merchants. I want to cast balls for my BP Revolvers

They are all different sizes, shapes and weights and I’m not even sure if they are made of lead or not.

Is there any sure way of telling?
    'Gun control is like trying to reduce drink driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars'

For muzzle loaders you would be best with pure lead rather than wheel weights.
    The lead being softer is a lot easier to load and less likely to snap ramrods or loading levers. At these lower velocities it helps that the ball can swell to fit the rifling better.

Wheel weights are ideal for bullets to go in cartridges, they shoot at higher velocities and the harder metal is needed to stop the O/D stripping as it goes through the rifling.

Older weights could be lead but newer ones are harder alloys..
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Thanks Smokeless – excellent advice as usual!
    'Gun control is like trying to reduce drink driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars'

as lead melts at a lower temp than most other metals it should seperate in to lead and not lead if you dont get it to hot??

scotty
    "stuff" is just"stuff" but happieness is hard to find!

greenshoots Guest
    used for higher velocities you will have to melt to git rid of the clips dont throw could use in a lead mix ....or send them my way.

viv

Hey Greenshoots

What John Wayne film did that line come from? ... I've heard it before but can't place it