Thread: Colt Revolving Rifle

Colt Revolving Rifle

Refering to the Civil War .56 caliber ... can anyone tell me the cylinder length & powder load please ?

I thought most revolving rifles used about 60 grains - but I dunno if this varied for big calibres.

Are you considering shooting a percussion revolving rifle? If so, I hope you've thought through the safety aspects. It's not for nothing that they never really caught on like the arm's length pistol, and AFAIK are not being repro'd currently .

Regards,
    MikB
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Quote Originally Posted by MikB View Post
    I thought most revolving rifles used about 60 grains - but I dunno if this varied for big calibres.

Are you considering shooting a percussion revolving rifle? If so, I hope you've thought through the safety aspects. It's not for nothing that they never really caught on like the arm's length pistol, and AFAIK are not being repro'd currently .

Regards,
    MikB
    I have a BP 24" Uberti Peacemaker percussion with a clip on stock, thats a normal .44.

Its smoothbore though and I'm struggling a little with a variation for rabbits

Richard
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    I have a BP 24" Uberti Peacemaker percussion with a clip on stock, thats a normal .44.

Its smoothbore though and I'm struggling a little with a variation for rabbits

Richard
    You mean based on the 1873 revolver design, but with cap nipples instead of .44-40 or .45 LC cartridges?

If there's no cartridge with a nice roll crimp, I'd be more'n a bit worried about flashovers a couple of inches from my face, and with my left hand in front of the cylinder...

Regards,
    MikB
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Quote Originally Posted by MikB View Post
    You mean based on the 1873 revolver design, but with cap nipples instead of .44-40 or .45 LC cartridges?

If there's no cartridge with a nice roll crimp, I'd be more'n a bit worried about flashovers a couple of inches from my face, and with my left hand in front of the cylinder...

Regards,
    MikB
    I mean exactly that Mik

Lubed wads should kill the flashover, but theres no way I'll be putting my front hand anywhere near the front of the cylinder

Glasses only methinks

Richard
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.