Thread: Information on black powder shotgun?

Information on black powder shotgun?

Hi i'm thinking of getting a muzzleloading shotgun.I want to get a traditional english percussion double barrel.With damarcus barrels.Hey i like the look. With the intention of using it for hunting and clay pigeon shooting.

I have found one for sale.I can't find out any information on it.The information says 14 bore double barrel shotgun by chard of london made during the third quarter of the 19th century.With 30 inch damarcus barrels.Its for sale at £750.Is this a good price.It looks in good shape from the photos.I'm going to try and view it though.

Any information would be great,on the maker,how well they were regarded in that time for quality and workmanship and popularity?
    Last edited by Dave1; 29-07-2007 at 10:02 AM.
    Current guns owned
    Walther LGU Varmint .22 with Nikko Stirling 2-7x32 AO ILL

Would that be the one from Micks guns?

http://www.micksguns.com/black%20powder%20guns.htm

I'd have said it more of a collectors piece rather than to be fired. But whatever floats your boat.

I would look for a modern replica smooth bore m/l.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Yeah it would be that one yes.

To behonest i have been doing alot of research on muzzleloading in genral and would prefer an original.Originals supposedly handle better...Plus if you get an original its an investment.
    Current guns owned
    Walther LGU Varmint .22 with Nikko Stirling 2-7x32 AO ILL

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella

Replica or Antique?

If you are going to shoot clays, i reckon you would be better of with a good replica, mine is an old Navy arms double and it is well made and strong, it will handle anyhing up to heavy non toxic wildfowling loads (not steel) with no worries and i dont worry so much about getting mud on it!
    If you get an antique be very sure it is safe to shoot as many of them are getting rather thin!

re:Suggestion,

I don't know if this stuff is available in the UK, but try looking for a blackpowder substitute called Hodgdon's TRIPLE SE7EN. It's safe for the old 1st generation black powder guns of all makes, it burns cleaner and produces more energy. I use it for all of my black powder replicas and originals, including my bp cartridge guns like the colt navy and army revolvers.

The best thing about this powder is that the residue will come off with little effort. At times I just use water, dry it, then finish off with a light coating of Break Free Clp.(<- my favorite, and supposedly the military's favorite)
    Fortune favors the brave...

Hi Sven, yes it is available over here and I have been trying to point it out to the guys on here

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196275

Its more expensive but I think the benefits outweigh that.

Its not liked in competitions, some insist on BP only.

One of the good things is you can liquid Alox your projectiles without any fouling problems. BP needs more "natural" lubricants but 777 residues don't mix with Alox and form gum as BP would. Pre coating with Alox gives a drier ball so no greasy mess while loading.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Another 'dedicated' 777 user (FFFG for my .44 revolver).

As already said, more poke than 'real' BP so remember to reduce loads if you're going to try it.

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella

Triple 7 in Shotguns?

Last year a friend of mine got some 777 and used it in an original shotgun with no obvious problems, i was dubious about using it in my 12 bore as the grain size was so small (fffg) on the container were pressure ratings based on CUP (copper units of pressure) it seemed to me to be more a rifle or pistol powder, we could find no pressure data for 777 not even at the proof house, does anyone have any ideas what pressure the stuff actually generates?

Hodgdons originaly said it was the same as BP. Tests by shooters in the states showed higher muzzle velocities, Hodgdens changed their recomendations and now say you should reduce charge by 15% to get the same output as BP.

You can get 777 in ffg as well, though perhaps not in the UK yet.