Thread: Sale fell through-was I reasonable?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Flannelmeister is offline If I'm not on here I'm in the shed
    Well I'm pretty much a newbie here myself so am prepared to get flamed here but, like it or not, the established protocol on the net (largely because of a well known auction site) is you pays your money and then your goods get sent.

If you aren't happy with that then really you have to ask yourself if it is worth a bit of petrol and a day to meet up if it is a hard to get or valuable item.

The other avenue of course is to arrange a paypal payment so you can make a claim if it goes pear-shaped.

It is a difficult situation though.
    .177 HW97K
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

Rotherham - adopted home of the Mockney Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by Flannelmeister View Post
    Well I'm pretty much a newbie here myself so am prepared to get flamed here but, like it or not, the established protocol on the net (largely because of a well known auction site) is you pays your money and then your goods get sent.

If you aren't happy with that then really you have to ask yourself if it is worth a bit of petrol and a day to meet up if it is a hard to get or valuable item.

The other avenue of course is to arrange a paypal payment so you can make a claim if it goes pear-shaped.

It is a difficult situation though.
    I would agree with this sentiment, pay up front, goods on receipt. Posts are posts, whether one or several thousand, on the BBS it counts for sure, but posts and cash aren't equal currency. No matter how much we respect each other.

Tricky doing private sales, unless its face to face - hence why a particular auction site does well, as there is an insurance policy.

Always two sides to every story, if in doubt, do nowt.

Use a proxy, or even a deposit to secure etc.
    Delusions of adequacy!

Quote Originally Posted by guybinks View Post
    I would agree with this sentiment, pay up front, goods on receipt. Posts are posts, whether one or several thousand, on the BBS it counts for sure, but posts and cash aren't equal currency. No matter how much we respect each other.

Tricky doing private sales, unless its face to face - hence why a particular auction site does well, as there is an insurance policy.

Always two sides to every story, if in doubt, do nowt.

Use a proxy, or even a deposit to secure etc.
    Longbottom leaf, the best pipeweed in all of the shire

Surely that would be Old Toby. Sorry to go off topic.

Had a few long standing trusted members PM about a couple newbies who I knew. I vouched for them and the deal was done. This is a good way of finding out if a newbie can be trusted. I knew the newbies quite well and would trust them with anything of mine (apart from the missus). But this is not always possible, but does work if can be done that way.

BigEars Guest
    I suppose it sometimes boils down to how often an individual has been diddled in the past. However with someone like Nick, I've seen his posts and how he's helped other folks on here and I'd be happier to trust him then he might be to trust me.

the only way to be sure both parties get what they want is to, get a courier, to deliver the goods sign for them and pick the funds up when the item is delivered, obviously this would cost more but it would garrantee a smooth trouble free transaction.

I'm not 100% sure if couriers do this service but have heard of this sort of thing before

I am new have sold 3 items through here to people I have never met got paid sent items everybody was happy.
    Thankyou to those three people you know who you are. I always trust people and I have a good car and satnav, If I got ripped off I would definately follow it up
    Good luck
    Enjoy every step you take, you never know which one will be your last.

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Nick,
    whilst I certainly respect and trust you enough to send you a gun without payment first I can understand entirely why others wouldn't whether they've been on here five minutes or five years. Trust can't be demanded because of a high post count. I don't for a minute think that your request to the seller was unreasonable but neither is the sellers response to that request. If it's such a good deal or even right item it's got to be worth jumping in the car for and meeting half way. You could always see if you can find an intermediary near the seller even if that means waiting a little while longer for the gear. The alternative is to bite the bullet and take the chance or just walk away from the deal.
    I can honestly say that I've no intention of selling through the sales section on here, I like to know who I'm dealing with and will pick and choose who I sell to. When I buy it is pretty much always from known quantities unless it's face to face or a relatively low value item.

Chris
    Last edited by Sam Vimes; 29-07-2007 at 11:14 PM.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!