Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Sale fell through-was I reasonable?

Nick- you are a funny old thing!
    I read one of your posts a while back saying other people were asking far too much for their stuff and that you knew the "correct" market price.
    I then read one of your post's saying you could'nt understand why people were'nt willing to pay a "fair" price for your stuff!
    Then I read someone won't send you a rifle "on approval"
    I think you have to appreciate that not everyone on here is as trusting as you & every deal done on trust is a risk & its up to you to decide whether or not to punt. Can you imagine your man with the rifle for sale going to the police & saying " I sent it in good faith but I never heard from him again!"
    I know that would never happen but does he? Can't blame him can you?
    "Putting a country take on things..."

apologies if this has been mentioned,i havent had time to read all the posts,but has anyone thought of using credit card cheques ? would these give the buyer the same protection as using their credit card ?
    GOOD DEALS...Here,post 6404

In the case of a high value sale where it was not possible to have a face to face meet due to extreme distance, could a reputable gunsmith local to the buyer be used as an intermediary?
    This could negate risk to either party, and earn the dealer a reasonable handling charge.

Having 'caught up', I know one thing, there is never going to be a hard and fast rule that can be used, I have driven over 200 miles more than once to conclude a 'deal' worth less than £200, all I can say is that it was worth it to me (my money).
    Two questions though,
    1) How would anyone really feel, if somebody said "I don't trust you, so send whatever to me first, then I'll send you the money"?
    2) As a 'loner' (I plink in the back garden with my sons) I have met only 2 members of this board, (one only the once or twice, the other a few times) who would be an acceptable 'vouch' for me?
    I don't intend to do any purchasing / selling on the board at the moment (who knows what the future holds though?) but I know I have a fairly low post count, which would stand against me if the totem pole system were to be put into practice. Although I know I'm honest, there are those posting here, that will assume that as I am relatively new here, that I'm not necessarily as honest as they are, and do you know what, as a new member in a club - that hurts! It would hurt in any club (not just shooting) I've been a member of various clubs since I was 19 (1979) (motorcycle etc.) and to be told "As a new member you are not trustworthy" must be the nastyist welcome anybody could get.
    Just my tuppence worth!

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Quote Originally Posted by SuffolkRifle View Post
    there are those posting here, that will assume that as I am relatively new here, that I'm not necessarily as honest as they are, and do you know what, as a new member in a club - that hurts!
    It would hurt in any club (not just shooting) I've been a member of various clubs since I was 19 (1979) (motorcycle etc.) and to be told "As a new member you are not trustworthy" must be the nastyist welcome anybody could get.
    Just my tuppence worth!
    I really don't think that that is the case at all. All it means is that I don't know that you are trustworthy. You are, so far, just a random stranger to me. No offence is intended by that and I certainly don't presume that you are dishonest or less honest than anyone else. There are people here that have thousands of posts that in my eyes are no different to you. I also don't expect any trust from you just because I have two overactive fingers and too much time on my hands. I trust no one unless whatever combination of reasons occur to enable that trust.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Speaking as a newbie, I expect to be the one doing the trusting in a deal. I have a few transactions under my belt here now and each time it was me that stuck my neck out. that's what i'd expect being the new guy.

If i'd had a deal go wrong for a significant amount of money then i'd get in the car and go to sort it out but that'd be a last resort. I'm a scrupulously honest person and I like to think the best of people but i'm not a mug.

Time will identify dishonesty in a community like this.

To answer the original question from the original poster...
    I think you were entirely reasonable. As a newbie I would have expected that response.

John
    Working for a living

Sales And Deals

If you placed an order with a dealer you would pay first , I can remember COD cash on delivery but that does not happen any more . as the seller I would post a photo and expect payment first before posting . Surley if your item was so valuable it would have been best to collect in person . I have sold items here , also one person offered to pay the following week I said I would send the item on reciept of payment but for whatever reason they did not pay . No problem I never lost out , they choose not to purchase thats up to them , I really dont think if it is that valuable you can expect them to send it before payment or at least part payment . Dave

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    I would be upset if someone didn,t trust me, I know a man of my word but you .
    Yes I do.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by exmoor beast View Post
    Nick- you are a funny old thing!
    I read one of your posts a while back saying other people were asking far too much for their stuff and that you knew the "correct" market price.
    I then read one of your post's saying you could'nt understand why people were'nt willing to pay a "fair" price for your stuff!
    Then I read someone won't send you a rifle "on approval"
    I think you have to appreciate that not everyone on here is as trusting as you & every deal done on trust is a risk & its up to you to decide whether or not to punt. Can you imagine your man with the rifle for sale going to the police & saying " I sent it in good faith but I never heard from him again!"
    I know that would never happen but does he? Can't blame him can you?
    EB I don't ever recall saying that I knew the 'correct' market price? I certainly have observed that there seems very little spare cash around on the bbs at present and also that some members had an inflated idea of what gear would fetch. This was not confined to new members but I certainly notice that new members regularly overprice gear on their first sales thread more than older members. This is only to be expected. The only 'absolute mind numbing irritation' is members of all stages STILL trying to get around the fixed price ethos of the bbs and hoping to create an auction.
    Don't quite see what that has got to do to this thread though? I don't consider myself particularly trusting. I try and take a positive view on every member and by and large that stance has been vindicated.

I would like to thank all those who contributed to this thread. Some of the replies have been 'off track', some have been broadly supportive of the view that whilst trust is two way, a long standing member is probably a better 'bet' for trust than a newcomer. The one thing I do take issue with is the blind assumption that goods are sent after money is received and funds cleared. These are transactions between CLUB MEMBERS and not purely commercial deals. I accept unreservedly that any seller is completely entitled to refuse to send goods before cash AND the reverse is also true. Every transaction is by agreement not by following a system used by another commercial organisation.
    Finally, may I address myself to the anonymous member who set all this off? I am NOT getting at you and I have nothing against you in any way. I just don't know you from a hole in the road and your posts give very little away as to what makes you 'tick'. The same cannot in fairness be said about me. You are completely entitled to your view of not sending goods before cash is received. You have that right as much as I do of not being prepared to send cash to a stranger. It remains a pity that you were unwilling to make other suggestions to resolve this but I still wish you good luck in selling your item.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Flannelmeister is offline If I'm not on here I'm in the shed
    It seems that Paypal could indeed be an answer. If you pay by credit card through Paypal then if you don't receive the goods you can inform your credit card company who will claim a "chargeback" from Paypal.

From the sellers point of view, ensure that the buyer has a "verified" Paypal account as this stops somebody buying with a stolen credit card in which case you will lose your money.

So, buyers, get yourself a paypal account and get it verified, similar for sellers so that there is a system in place that protects both of you.

As to the charges, paypal takes 3.7% and it would have to be a very large purchase indeed before this was less economical that the fuel/time involved with driving to meet someone a long way away (nice though it is to be able to put a face to a user name you see here)

As to Paypal's position against being used for guns, their own terms and conditions/exceptions make it clear that this should really refer to firearms not air guns but to be on the safe side simply describe goods on a Paypal invoice as "sporting goods" and no problem.
    .177 HW97K
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

figjam Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Flannelmeister View Post
    It seems that Paypal could indeed be an answer. If you pay by credit card through Paypal then if you don't receive the goods you can inform your credit card company who will claim a "chargeback" from Paypal.

From the sellers point of view, ensure that the buyer has a "verified" Paypal account as this stops somebody buying with a stolen credit card in which case you will lose your money.

So, buyers, get yourself a paypal account and get it verified, similar for sellers so that there is a system in place that protects both of you.

As to the charges, paypal takes 3.7% and it would have to be a very large purchase indeed before this was less economical that the fuel/time involved with driving to meet someone a long way away (nice though it is to be able to put a face to a user name you see here)

As to Paypal's position against being used for guns, their own terms and conditions/exceptions make it clear that this should really refer to firearms not air guns but to be on the safe side simply describe goods on a Paypal invoice as "sporting goods" and no problem.

do you reckon........read this then tell me if you would still verify and use paypal on every transaction http://www.paypalsucks.com/

try maybe these people instead people http://www.nochex.com/

kenny

Flannelmeister is offline If I'm not on here I'm in the shed
    Fair comment figjam.

After a little research perhaps PPPay might be better for our sales. You can even make payments on an escrow basis through it and, unlike nochex, it is designed for individuals and not small businesses.

http://www.pppay.com/
    .177 HW97K
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing