Thread: Blued rust

Blued rust

Hi everyone...new to the forum today!

I was just wondering if anyone had any knowledge or expertise on at least maintaining a blued finish on antique pieces. If not maintaining it, then how to keep the rust at bay for as long as possible (without rendering the piece un-touchable with grease and grime). Any ideas? Thanks!

Blueing

Hi & Welcome,

I use either "Remington Gun Oil" or "WD40", Just a light coating after use. Has worked well for me for the last 20 Years or so.

Bound to be other ideas though!.

Regards...Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1 View Post

Bound to be other ideas though!.

Regards...Chris
    I say Balistol to you.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Abbey do a metal protector that coats carefully degreased surfaces with a waxy film. When dry you can handle it without it coming off but it's not suitable for anything that gets much use. For that use oil as already suggested.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

type of oil

Some people say 'do not use WD40 on your gun' as it will remove the blueing

This is nonsense

I agree with the gentleman above (Chris1)who recommends it to hold rust at bay

I do not know where the mis-information came from (possibly one of the comics) but WD40 is a rust inhibiter and I have a couple of old rifles that I bought new in the 80's and have rubbed down every time i have used them with a rag soaked in WD40

They still look like new!!The bluing is perfect!

But to be honest, any good oil (3 in 1 or Duckams 20-50) will preserve the finish on a blued gun, just make sure you rub it down before putting it away
    Silicone oils also work well at preventing oxidation on ferritic surfaces

John
    hold me back !!

hi

i was once advised to use good quality beeswax on a sword that i own as oil will hold any particle matter that lands on it whether it be dust, flying insects or anything else, i don't use oil on my guns either, just best quality beeswax and as for rust- my guns are covered in it

not really, the only rust on any of my hardware was already there when i acquired it

i prefer using waz as, with oil, it gets on the hands everytime the gun is handled- wax doesn't as it is buffed off straight away (apparently it leaves microscopic polymers on the surface that won't let the moisture through

john

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I say Balistol to you.

ATB
    Ian
    Ian,

Where can I get some?

Thanks,

Piotr

Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post

<snipped>
    I do not know where the mis-information came from (possibly one of the comics) but WD40 is a rust inhibiter and I have a couple of old rifles that I bought new in the 80's and have rubbed down every time i have used them with a rag soaked in WD40

They still look like new!!The bluing is perfect!

<snipped>

John
    Hello John,

I think the idea came about because of the fact it is a rust inhibitor and blueing is a form of chemically induced rusting.

I use wd40 as well and have never had a problem with it damaging any of the blueing on any guns I've owned. I'm out on foreshores usually where there is a fair amount of salty moisture about but the wd40 has always coped so far with protecting my guns.

Regards
    Dave (www.kwacs.org.uk) "Wildfowlers do it in the mud"

Wow. Thanks for all the great replies guys! I would also like to know where to find "Balistol," as well as beeswax -- since I've never had a use for beeswax before The WD40 advice can get sprayed on today though...

ballistol

scparts.co.uk is where you can get ballistol,goooood stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
    scparts.co.uk is where you can get ballistol,goooood stuff.
    Do you know how much do they charge for postage? I can't find any costs before they ask for your credit card details in the online shopping basket.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post

i prefer using waz

john
    I'm really surprised you don't have rust problems if you wazz on your guns!!!

ballistol

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Do you know how much do they charge for postage? I can't find any costs before they ask for your credit card details in the online shopping basket.
    i phoned them and placed order,dont remember how much postage, cant be much tho,theyre at gatwick.just looked on flea bay,sc are selling for £4.99 and £4.95 postage,theyve got us by the balls cos you cant get the oil imported from anywhere ive tried.
    Last edited by chrisn; 02-08-2007 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
    i phoned them and placed order,dont remember how much postage, cant be much tho,theyre at gatwick.just looked on flea bay,sc are selling for £4.99 and £4.95 postage,theyve got us by the balls cos you cant get the oil imported from anywhere ive tried.
    Thanks.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    I'm really surprised you don't have rust problems if you wazz on your guns!!!

damn damn damn, there goes me- speed typing at fully four words per minute and almost setting the keyboard on fire with the friction

of course, i don't wazz on my guns (least not till i've had a gallon and a half)

john